Hotkeys!

Enhancement Requests - We'd love to hear about them.

Moderator: Mods

Hotkeys!

Postby shiphen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am

Hello

Please can you give us the more hotkeys!

I suggest that we need hotkeys for everything in the left hand Navigation Tree pane. And ideally the user should be able to setup these up for him/herselve.
e.g. I would like ability to setup hotkeys for searches that we have made into our Favorites.

Please not that I feel VERY strongly about this.

(To be honest I find it jaw-dropping for such a mature and otherwise excellent product, that you are still expecting users to use the mouse so much. )

With thanks

J
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: Hotkeys!

Postby Michael Devin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:08 am

Hi J,

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestion. There has been a lot of internal discussion surrounding hotkeys and we will certainly consider for the next release.

Best,

Mike
Michael Devin

Postby shiphen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:12 am

Michael Devin wrote:Hi J,

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestion. There has been a lot of internal discussion surrounding hotkeys and we will certainly consider for the next release.

Best,

Mike

My pleasure. IMHO, hotkey are an absolutely crucial feature because they are SO much faster than a mouse. Worse for many users using a mouse tends to cause RSI.
All things considered and I am slightly amazed that you have got this far without Hotkeys.

Further to the above I suggest:
that the simplest thing for you to to implement would be roughly what My Life Organized uses:
- Right click ==> "Assign hotkey" ==> a box saying "Hotkey:" a which point the users holds down a keyboard combination of Alt/Shift/Control/[plus whateverkeys] which immediately appears in the field. ==> user then hits the button called "Assign hotkey".
Surely that shouldn't be too hard to code and would be enough to get serious users started (and not - full disclosure - increasingly starting to want to jump ship!)

That when the user does a mouse-over in addition to the current description (e.g. "All email") that X1 reminds the user what the current hotkey is (e.g. "All email (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E)"
Consider putting the hotkey descriptino into bold. (e.g. "All email (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E)"

It would be good to have some sensible defaults for your default searches. I have no opinion as to what they should be. However whatever they are, it would be good to allow the user to over-ride them. If in doubt allow your users to vote. (e.g. on a facebook page or similar)

Trying to help

J

You may wish to set up default hotkeys too. I can imagine that
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Michael Devin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:03 am

Hi J,

Thanks so much for the suggestions, and I will circle back with product management.

Best,

Mike
Michael Devin

Postby Jogy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

It would be good to have some sensible defaults for your default searches. I have no opinion as to what they should be. However whatever they are, it would be good to allow the user to over-ride them.

The old product, X1 Pro, had some default shortcuts for the standard saved searches, for example Email: Ctrl+Shift+E, Files: Ctrl+Shift+F , Documents: Ctrl+Shift+D, etc. We will use those as our default settings as well.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Enhancements V8