Powershell cmdlets & EXIF Data!

Enhancement Requests - We'd love to hear about them.

Moderator: Mods

Powershell cmdlets & EXIF Data!

Postby jeffwilson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:38 am

Hello,

X1 has really improved in the last few months and I'm very pleased with it in general. But you should add the following features to it to take it to the next level:

- Powershell cmdlets: This is probably not for everyone but X1 is already a full .Net 4.0 product, so you should just add in some powershell cmdlets for further customization, search executions and more nerd knobs. At a minimum,cmdlets could be as simple as "x1-search" with simple parameters mirroring the GUI's Name/Type/DateModified/Size/Path filters (without a file preview obviously). For power users, you could add in more complex cmdlets that manipulate the X1 engine, query it, or customize the way X1 behaves, saving you from having to develop new elements in your GUI.

- EXIF data: I can't be the only one who wishes X1 would index EXIF data on all my hundreds of gigs of jpeg, raw, and tiff images. EXIF data is so rich and detailed, yet all I can do with jpegs is query standard file system attributes, which aren't necessarily inline with EXIF data (a photo taken in June 2011 might or might not reflect that date in the file system)

- EPUBs: This is probably a tall order, but I'd be forever grateful if X1 could properly display EPUB files.

If X1 added those three features and charged an additional $25-$30 for the product (call it X1 Search Professional or something), I'd be the first in line to purchase!
jeffwilson

Re: Powershell cmdlets & EXIF Data!

Postby Jogy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 pm

jeffwilson wrote:Hello,

X1 has really improved in the last few months and I'm very pleased with it in general. But you should add the following features to it to take it to the next level:

- Powershell cmdlets: This is probably not for everyone but X1 is already a full .Net 4.0 product, so you should just add in some powershell cmdlets for further customization, search executions and more nerd knobs. At a minimum,cmdlets could be as simple as "x1-search" with simple parameters mirroring the GUI's Name/Type/DateModified/Size/Path filters (without a file preview obviously). For power users, you could add in more complex cmdlets that manipulate the X1 engine, query it, or customize the way X1 behaves, saving you from having to develop new elements in your GUI.

This is very interesting idea, I will explore what can be done in that aspect.

jeffwilson wrote:
- EXIF data: I can't be the only one who wishes X1 would index EXIF data on all my hundreds of gigs of jpeg, raw, and tiff images. EXIF data is so rich and detailed, yet all I can do with jpegs is query standard file system attributes, which aren't necessarily inline with EXIF data (a photo taken in June 2011 might or might not reflect that date in the file system)

Good idea, we should consider it.

jeffwilson wrote:- EPUBs: This is probably a tall order, but I'd be forever grateful if X1 could properly display EPUB files.

The problem is that X1 relies on Oracle's OutsideIn (Stellent) technology to index and display all the various file types, and they handle epubs as simple archives. We will see if we can request better support for that format, or look for an alternative.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:13 am

Jogy wrote:
jeffwilson wrote:- EPUBs: This is probably a tall order, but I'd be forever grateful if X1 could properly display EPUB files.

The problem is that X1 relies on Oracle's OutsideIn (Stellent) technology to index and display all the various file types, and they handle epubs as simple archives. We will see if we can request better support for that format, or look for an alternative.

Jogy

There are several requests around here for indexing various filetypes that always come back to Stellent's failure to support them. ePub is just one of the book formats around.

Then there are OneNote, Evernote and similar stuff that it would be great to have in X1. Both of these are now widely used.

Please tell Stellent that it needs to join the 21st century and add new formats as they become popular.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jeffwilson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:07 am

While my heart sank with the knowledge that my beloved X1 is actually using O-word technologies, I'm thankful for this reply!

I checked out OutsideIn and what's funny to me is the repeated use of the word "unstructured" data as it pertains to file formats in Windows. Open Office XML is an ISO standard document format, and even Onenote's .one file format, is open and you can utilize OneNote notbooks from Windows on iPads with third party apps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft ... ile_format

.epub is also an xml based file format, but no one seems to index it properly.

Anyway hope to see new features soon cheers!
jeffwilson

Return to Enhancements V8