** The wait is over - X1 SEARCH 8 is Here! **

Moderator: Mods

** The wait is over - X1 SEARCH 8 is Here! **

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 am

Hello X1 community,

We are very proud to announce the official release of our next generation desktop search product, X1 Search 8. X1 Search 8 includes many enhancements specifically targeting overall performance and resource usage, along with speed and ease of use.

Features/Enhancements:

• Full support for Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013 (both 32 and 64 bit)
• NEW - SharePoint 2007 and 2010 connector enables adding SharePoint sites for search and full fidelity preview
• NEW - Open documents directly from SharePoint
• NEW - Search and index Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL mail, and any IMAP based email accounts
• Federated search across Outlook, files and multiple webmail sources
• Searches Exchange online archive
• Functions as a native 64 bit process on 64 bit Operating Systems
• Direct connectivity to X1 Rapid Discovery, enabling comprehensive search from the desktop to the cloud and virtual data centers
• Create a customized search toolbar with simple drag and drop of your favorite searches
• Supports full customization of all available data sources, allowing for easy addition and removal of Outlook and Files sources.
• Easily indexes the larger volumes of data required of today’s knowledge workers.
• Enhanced Indexing – creates a fully searchable index faster than ever before!
• Favorites Toolbar for super-fast one-click source navigation
• Significant UI enhancements including new color scheme, favorites bar, source list left-navigation, source icons, and fonts

If you are active on support, you are eligible to download X1 Search 8 for free. To acquire your license, please visit http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html and click the Log In button to log into the Support Portal. Click the ‘Get X1 Search 8’ button. A download link and your new LicenseID and Password will be sent to your portal email address.

While we are certain you have seen and/or noticed all of the below features, we wanted to highlight some of the additions to X1 Search 8.

Sincerely,

The X1 Team
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: ** The wait is over - X1 SEARCH 8 is Here! **

Postby Kenward » Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 am

Chris Wheaton wrote:

Shouldn't this also include Office 365? Microsoft doesn't sell it in the same way as Office 2013.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Trajan » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

Does v8 work with the iOS app? I recall that the beta did not.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby lancea » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Kenward wrote:
Chris Wheaton wrote:

Shouldn't this also include Office 365? Microsoft doesn't sell it in the same way as Office 2013.

If you have one of the Office 365 subscriptions that includes a full installation of Office (e.g. Office 365 Home Premium) - and you chose to do a local install - then you will have Outlook 2013 on your PC.
lancea

Postby dbmurrell » Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

You don't provide a way to enter proxy information at activation time. Can't use your product until this is fixed. Completely unacceptable.
dbmurrell

Postby amonty » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Am running v. 6.7.4 and am perfectly happy with it. What new features does Search 8 provide? The only reason I am considering upgrading is because I love this product so much that I want to support its development financially.
amonty

Postby csalsa » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 am

Most amused. Well not really.

I get the link in the email. I use it to download the web installer. I download and run it. No problem.

Then it asks me to close Outlook before proceeding. I do so. Then I am prompted on the following installer wizard screen to enter the License ID and password that was in the email that I just closed.

I see the prompt to close the Outlook in the installer wizard has been moved to one of the first pages. Perhaps it should be moved to after entering the license ID and password.

Anyway. I am now off to re-open Outlook to get the details and copy them to notepad. Then I will re-run the X1 web installer.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 am

Does X1 maintain a count of the number of activations with X1?

If so, then I ask is: "Is there a deactivation process?". I have been burnt with a limited count of software application activations and the onus is on me to "deactivate" the software application before moving to another workstation/laptop.

It is not a big deal but good to know up front.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby therev » Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 am

Well done ... congratulations ... I know there will be loads of comments as the user base increases, and feedback and maybe the bug or two ... but really pleased to see X1 developing.
therev

Postby pgk » Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 am

Congrats from a longtime user. Lots of impressive changes under the hood.

Next up: please get started on developing a lightweight Windows 8 'modern UI' companion app with search integration in the Windows 8 Start Screen. You want to capture the tablet market early on.
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby marenost » Wed May 08, 2013 10:05 am

Is this an upgrade to X1 pro?

What happened to the taskbar search window, is it a plugin or configuration setting that I missed?

I recently purchased the X1 pro product and was just getting the hang of its awesomeness and thought it couldn't get better, then I got the search 8 email and thought even more awesomeness was coming, but I feel as if it is a step back...

Also, how can I set it up to be my windows default search? In win7 64 X1 is not listed in software list of default programs. I also checked under protocols and it isn't there either...

thanks in advance for any help!!

Steve
marenost

Postby Kenward » Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 am

csalsa wrote:Does X1 maintain a count of the number of activations with X1?

If so, then I ask is: "Is there a deactivation process?". I have been burnt with a limited count of software application activations and the onus is on me to "deactivate" the software application before moving to another workstation/laptop.

I disagree. It is a big deal. I have also been badly bitten by cack handed software activation.

Anyone has has bought software from Nuance will tell you that the company treats customers like pirates.

Nuance has written software that demands activation whenever you do something simple like changing the USB devices attached to your PC. Eventually you get "timed out" by the software. You then have to beg on bended knee for someone to reset the activation counter so that you can once again use the software that you have paid for. Their default response is that you are a software thief.

Just look at the Amazon reviews for Nuance's PDF Converter Professional. Some people are so incensed by this problem that they simply will not buy more software from this company.

If X1 goes down that road, then it can expect great loads of discontent to descend.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby marenost » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am

csalsa wrote:Does X1 maintain a count of the number of activations with X1?

I'm not sure about counts, but in the menu of search 8 there is an option to deactivate a license...

Hope it helps
marenost

Postby adrian0712 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Chris - Not sure what is happening here, but I have now tried to use X1 Search 8 on two machines both running Windows 8 64bit and Office 2013 32 bit and both cause Outlook to freeze. Both were previously running the various beta versions of V8 very happily, but something has now caused issues with Outlook. Is there anything I can send you to try to track down the problem?
adrian0712

Postby Kenward » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm

marenost wrote:I'm not sure about counts, but in the menu of search 8 there is an option to deactivate a license...

Well spotted. Did you also notice that X1 Search is timed to expire?

In my case it is on 11 May 2023 at 00:00:00.

While 10 years is a long way away, this is the first time I have encountered this ticking timebomb in major software.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby csalsa » Wed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm

I too experienced MS-Outlook 2013 (32-bit, fully patched) freezing on start-up with V8 released version. I did not have a problem with the beta versions.

Outlook 2013 crashes drastically and I need to kill it with the Windows Task Manager. Outlook 2013 becomes completely unresponsive, though the window can be mimimised and restored, and shows the busy "hour" glass. If I uninstall X1 V8, I then have no problem with Outlook 2013. So it must be a problem with the X1 plugin for Outlook. This was repeatable and I rebooted between installing and uninstalling. My computer runs Windows 7 (64-bit, fully patched).

I was going to experiment with removing the outlook as a data source, but it was time to sleep.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby VMR1956 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 am

I suggest the X1 Forum Team read the other thread about problems we are experiencing with this new release. I've had no response from Support, other than auto-generated email replies from an unattended email box. This is after paying for Software Upgrade Assurance.

STAY WELL CLEAR is my recommendation.
VMR1956

Postby carlsbl » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

VMR1956 wrote:I suggest the X1 Forum Team read the other thread about problems we are experiencing with this new release. I've had no response from Support, other than auto-generated email replies from an unattended email box. This is after paying for Software Upgrade Assurance.

+1
carlsbl

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

carlsbl wrote:
VMR1956 wrote:I suggest the X1 Forum Team read the other thread about problems we are experiencing with this new release. I've had no response from Support, other than auto-generated email replies from an unattended email box. This is after paying for Software Upgrade Assurance.

+1

Not sure if you noticed, but I have spent a majority of the day here ;) If you would like to contact me directly, there is a link to email me. I am sorry I just got here a few days ago and I am doing my best to respond to issues, and questions and feedback.

Regards,

Rhonda
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Would you like to provide a specific link to something I have missed today? did notice you had issues with responding to support. I responded to you regarding that.

The ticket looked like it was taken care of. If not, my mistake and please contact me.

Rhonda
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Announcements