X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

Moderator: Mods

X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

Postby Rhonda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:59 pm

UPDATE 9/11/2013 11:45 PST

Greetings all,

We have isolated and implemented a fix for the issue affecting 8.1, and thus have removed the hold on upgrades. For some context, the issue related to the installer’s recognition of Outlook bitness.

In terms of resolving the issues with Outlook -- if you have not upgraded, you will be prompted to upgrade or you can check from updates and you should have NO issues at all.

For those of you who lost your Outlook data sources with the initial 8.1 upgrade, please use Control Panel > Programs and Features to remove your current X1 install. You may elect to save your current settings.
Then, download and install the 8.1 upgrade from here: http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue caused, and sincerely appreciate our forum posters and X1 clients who brought the issue to our attention. We of course strive to avoid negative scenarios like this, but appreciate the fact that our users reach out quickly when there is a problem, allowing our development team to resolve the issue as rapidly as possible.

Thanks again for your patience, and please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly here in the forums, or via our customer care team with any additional questions or concerns: http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html#login

Thanks again for your loyal support of X1, and once again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

X1 Team

Release Notes: http://help.x1s8.com/#release-notes-resources
===============================================
===============================================
UPDATE 9/11/2013 9:00 PST

Greetings All,

We've temporarily halted allowing new upgrades to 8.1, while we track down and implement a fix for users effected by this Outlook Issues reported in these forums.

*Additionally we have reverted back to 8.0.1 for the public install, if you prefer to go back you can do so by uninstalling - saving settings and reinstalling from the setup.exe*

********Please be ABSOLUTELY sure you are downloading the setup from http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe

Please check back here soon for additional updates. We will let you know when we fix and implement the solution and remove the hold.

Thank you for your patience and we're very sorry for any inconvenience.

Please email me at RR [at] X1 dot com if you have any questions or concerns.

Rhonda
============================================
============================================

Hello X1 Community,

We are proud to announce a new release for X1 Search- 8.1!! At your next launch of X1 Search 8 you should receive a prompt indicating an available upgrade to X1 Search 8.1. (NOTE: You must have valid software support in affect to install this upgrade).

Please note the upgrade will not disturb your existing index or any customizations. The release notes are immediately below.

X1 Search 8.1 significantly builds out our SharePoint search integration, including full SharePoint 365 support, as well as new SharePoint specific Post Search Actions-check-in, check-out, edit, save, and update. Also, we are very excited about our new product updater, which allows for scanner specific patches to be sent out without requiring a full upgrade. Last, 8.1 introduces advanced features and GPOs for central administration.

We cannot say thank you enough for your continued X1 use and support. In terms of our activation system, please note we continue to work with our licensing vendor to insure we are doing everything in our power, and they everything in theirs, to arrive at an un-intrusive and non-invasive activation process. You can expect further improvements in coming releases.

New Features and Improvements

• NEW - SharePoint 365 search support
• NEW - SharePoint Post Search Actions - check-out, check-in, edit, save, and update directly from the X1 Search 8 interface
• Export Results to Excel
• NEW Product Updater – Scanner specific patch mechanism allowing for more frequent and seamless updates
• Federation of Rapid results allowing Rapid/X1 Search 8 users to search across multiple Rapid indexes
• Ability to return all results from Rapid by clicking on Search button. Granular search metadata field search on Rapid results after returning all results.
• Updates to indexing removable drives with better handling of adding and removing drives. Drives are assigned a friendly drive name for immediate and consistent X1 recognition
• Robust IMAP password recognition to allow users to change IMAP password without the need to re-add and re-index IMAP accounts
• Copy and Move Post Search Actions for Files source
• Allow hidden files to be indexed

Advanced features for Administrators
• Silent Install for Administrators to centrally deploy X1
• Ability to install from local UNC path, instead of download.x1.com
• Ability to pass license ID and Password for large scale deployments

Added GPOs for central administration
• Allow indexing of specific network shares
• Restrict Removable Drive Indexing
• Restrict Network Share indexing
• Restrict Update

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed a bug for more consistent Outlook Copy and Move post search actions
• Fixed a bug causing inconsistent ‘Open Folder’ Post Search Action results
• Fixed a bug for CTRL CTRL hot key launch
• Fixed a bug causing inconsistency in Zip file indexing
• Fixed some service host crash and other miscellaneous bugs

Several other UI enhancements and bug fixes are also included in this release. Thanks again for your continued feedback and active forum participation.
Continuing thanks to our community members who've reach out with candid and thoughtful feedback.

Team X1
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Released!

Postby adebamowo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the new release. A couple of issues. The panel that opens up announcing this release after starting X1 is too long and cannot be adjusted on my 13 inch Latitude 6230 running Win 7 (64 bits) laptop such that radio buttons for choosing whether to install the update or not are hidden under the taskbar. After accepting and installing the update, X1 re-starts and announces the availability of the update again!

Further - I checked my X1 version after installing the update and it was still 8.0.1 I then re installed X1 without deleting the old installation. X1 program became unstable and crashed.
adebamowo

Postby Rhonda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:45 pm

adebamowo wrote:Thanks for the new release. A couple of issues. The panel that opens up announcing this release after starting X1 is too long and cannot be adjusted on my 13 inch Latitude 6230 running Win 7 (64 bits) laptop such that radio buttons for choosing whether to install the update or not are hidden under the taskbar. After accepting and installing the update, X1 re-starts and announces the availability of the update again!

Further - I checked my X1 version after installing the update and it was still 8.0.1 I then re installed X1 without deleting the old installation. X1 program became unstable and crashed.

Sounds like something went wrong.

Have you tried shutting down completely and just running http://support.x1.com/cs/X1SearchSetup.exe the update over it?

Re: The window of updates -- this should be the only time you see that. Now that we have a product updater -- you will be able to scroll on some updates. The problem is that you should have to get THIS update before you have the product updater options.

You can also email me (email in sig) and we can try to work through it.

Regards,

Rhonda

P.S. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I am checking in to see if we can change the window for launches.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Additionally, can you load the product and check for updates from MENU-> Help -> Check for updates? For some reason I was told that this large window is happening on launch but not when you check through the product.

Regards,

Rhonda
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby pathuri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Same problem like as earlier posts :

a) Update list is too long. YES/NO buttons hiding behind the display.
b) After pressing YES, and restarting X1, the version remains 8.01. Again I get the update notice.
c) Even after installing directly through x1searchsetup.exe, the version number remains same.
pathuri

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:32 pm

This is not working at all for me. I've "updated" four times, and it still shows 8.01. Worse yet, now my Outlook items are not even recognized as data sources.

This update basically gutted X1 for me. I hope that a fix is coming soon.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm

adebamowo - I think I found a problem on our activation server that was affecting your ability to install and activate the upgrade. I've taken what I believe are the corrective steps that are needed. Please try once more.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Chris or Rhonda,

Is there a way I can get a solution? I'm having the same upgrade problem, except that now also all my Outlook email, calendar, note, etc. items are gone and cannot even be added as data sources. I'm completely frozen out of most of what I need searched.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Trajan - Same thing here for you. Please try once more.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Pathuri - Forgive me for asking buy how did you come to learn about the update availability?

Also, please try to activate your upgrade one more time.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Chris Wheaton wrote:Trajan - Same thing here for you. Please try once more.

I am working now. Thank you!

I assume the problem with my Outlook pst was a result of not being "activated" even though the program said I was.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby concerned » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Same problems as Trajan

I am prompted when X1 starts to update to version 8.1 - each time the the activation is accepted but installation fails with message "An error occured preventing installation" (your spelling of "occured"). "The installation cannot continue because the following applications did not shut down automatically"

Have tried multiple times shutting down completely and then using your link http://support.x1.com/cs/X1SearchSetup.exe. Each time it says "installation complete" but when X1 restarts it shows the version as 8.01.

More importantly my Outlook files (.ost and .pst) are no longer recognised so X1 now unusable.

Would appreciate a rapid solution.
concerned

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Concerned - try again please.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby concerned » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks Chris - but have just done so twice since I saw you response to Trajan - still no change I am afraid.
concerned

Postby adebamowo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 pm

OK, it is working now. Thanks
adebamowo

Postby jgunnett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Chris I have lost all my Outlook resources, please assist with resolving this.
jgunnett

Postby concerned » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:40 pm

OK - cleared all temp files, restarted my machine, re-downloaded file and re-installed (again) and this time there was no prompt for the licence ID or password and it is now working.

It really shouldn't be this difficult or this time consuming to install an upgrade. Not one of your your automatic updates has worked in all the years I have been using X1.

Perhaps if you spent less time worrying about activation (at least until you can make a working installer) you might have a less frustrated customer base.
concerned

Postby jgunnett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I have lost all of my Outlook data stores with the upgrade to 8.1
jgunnett

Postby mvinarcik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Installed...but it broke all my indexes. Only data sources are files and Gmail...lost all my indexed Outlook e-mails.
mvinarcik

Postby TroyC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I had the same installation problems where it would stay at 8.0.1 and that is now resolved but X1 8.1.0 installation cannot see my Outlook files (.ost and .pst). I only have the option of files. I uninstalled X1, rebooted the computer, downloaded X1 again, and again no Outlook email option. X1 asks to close Outlook at the initial installation step so X1 can see Outlook at that time. Is there a fix to link Outlook (Office 365 Outlook 2013)?
TroyC

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 pm

mvinarcik wrote:Installed...but it broke all my indexes. Only data sources are files and Gmail...lost all my indexed Outlook e-mails.

mvinarcik, check your version of X1. The same thing happened to me, but it was not a broken index - it was a failure to authenticate, which meant the Outlook pst feature was not working.

It surely looks like there is some kind of mess in X1's authentication system.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mshanshal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 pm

I was prompted for the upgrade and the upgrade worked after the second time around with program showing Version 8.1. I however have only Files Search on the side bar and under "Everything". In other words, I lost my outlook search including Emails, Contacts and Notes. Any suggestions?
mshanshal

Postby mrwul » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

Just updated.

Q: where did my mailfolders go?

I am very sorry this is such a big image! I have been trying to resize it before re-uploading, but I donot know what size to downsize to. So I left it as it is. On my screen it is smaller.
Some forums accept images to be included as thumbnails. So users have to click on it to get the full size.
Any suggestions?

Again, I sorry!

=
=
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Tiro » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 am

Same here. Automatic upgrade went well but "Outlook" as a data source is not available anymore.
What to do to get it back?
Tiro

Postby mshanshal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:02 am

I have the same problem as mrwul. I have office 365 Outlook 13 which used to work fine with 8.0.1. It seems that X1 V8.1 does not find the outlook files.

Any suggestions?
mshanshal

Postby hdiaz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 am

Chris or Rhonda,
i can not add outlook as a data source.
hdiaz

Postby pebacher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 am

Dear X1 - I have the same issue as other posters. After I performed the upgrade (automatically prompted when I first executed X1 this morning) I no longer see my Outlook emails/contacts/calendar/tasks. Paul
pebacher

Postby dariuszb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:57 am

The same problem! After upgrade I have only files. Outlook is gone.
dariuszb

Postby mrwul » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 am

Think you have to uninstall v.8.01 first and then re-install v.8.1

However..., there is no link to a 8.1 installer.

One might ask for a free trial to do so.
However..., if you already asked for it earlier, that request is declined, you won't get a second copy.

Yes .. it is making life difficult.
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Outlook missing

Postby FelixBrakl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 am

I upgraded to 8.1.0 from 8.0.1. Outlook is missing. It does not show up in the data sources either. I tried to deactivate, and then activate again. No better result.
I am completely stuck.
FelixBrakl

Postby mshanshal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:53 am

mrwul wrote:Think you have to uninstall v.8.01 first and then re-install v.8.1

However..., there is no link to a 8.1 installer.

One might ask for a free trial to do so.
However..., if you already asked for it earlier, that request is declined, you won't get a second copy.

Yes .. it is making life difficult.

I have tried to uninstall, clean reboot and then re-install using the downloaded install file (it was in the downloads directory) but still the same problem - no Outlook data source - just files search.

Is there anyone from X1 monitoring this thread to provide some input?
mshanshal

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Outlook missing

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:54 am

FelixBrakl wrote:I upgraded to 8.1.0 from 8.0.1. Outlook is missing. It does not show up in the data sources either. I tried to deactivate, and then activate again. No better result.
I am completely stuck.

While the USA is still asleep, might be worth adding further information to these reports of missing Outlook. (Fortunately, it woked here, althoughh I have other problems.)

Maybe the "bitness" of your system matters. Even the version of Windows and Outlook.

Few posts mention these details.

PS Some people have posted the same message several times. ("Unfamiliar" members get moderated until it is obvious that they are not here to sell snake oil.) I have removed obvious duplicates.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:57 am

mshanshal wrote:Is there anyone from X1 monitoring this thread to provide some input?

It is the middle of the might in X1 land. (That's Pasadena, CA.)

Here in the civilised world we awoke to invitations to update X1. At least they didn't do it on Friday!
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:17 am

concerned wrote:I am prompted when X1 starts to update to version 8.1 - each time the the activation is accepted but installation fails with message "An error occurred preventing installation" (your spelling of "occurred"). "The installation cannot continue because the following applications did not shut down automatically".

Similar issue on one of my PCs.

Offered update. Said yes. Took for ever to download and then refused to install because "the following applications did not shut down automatically".

Which application?

X1!

So, I have started the update again, manually closed X1 and it is now in the middle of the download. Let's hope that does not fall over.

What possessed someone to write an update routine that cannot pick up where it left off with the retrieved files but demands to go get the full bundle all over again? Madness.

I had hoped that I could retrieve the downloads for my 64-bit PC and copy them over to the 32-bit one, but it doesn't like that idea. (I did find what I think is the update package in my temp directory.)

Not for the first time, X1 has delivered one of the clunkiest, slowest and most frustrating updates possible.

Why is there no link to download at least the installer? Why can't I save locally and then install?

After all, the licence covers a PC and laptop. Am I really supposed to spend hours waiting for each machine to use up my bandwidth?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby ddo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 am

Folks,
same for me, no email anymore after upgrading.

very annoying. Can I have an installer for the previous version please?

cheers,
Dirk
ddo

Postby franners » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:02 am

Hello,

My outlook integration has also vanished with 8.1 upgrade. No outlook as existing or offered data source. I have re-installed 3 times and same result each time. How do I go back to 8.01?
franners

Postby mrwul » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 am

Kenward wrote:
Not for the first time, X1 has delivered one of the clunkiest, slowest and most frustrating updates possible.

Why is there no link to download at least the installer? Why can't I save locally and then install?

After all, the licence covers a PC and laptop. Am I really supposed to spend hours waiting for each machine to use up my bandwidth?

You are sooo right!

(see my other post - I just read this one - we are on the same page on this.. :) )
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:27 am

So far, not one of the messages about lost Outlook tells us about their versions of Outlook or Windows.

I have had no problems with 32-bit Outlook 2010 in 64-bit Windows 7 SP1.

Similarly, no problems with 32-bit Outlook 2007 in 32-bit Windows 7 SP1.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 am

mrwul wrote:(see my other post - I just read this one - we are on the same page on this.. :) )
=

And this isn't the first time we have complained.

At least I did not have to interact with an "authentication server".
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 am

I uninstalled v8.1 (for the x time)
found this one and installed that, but it was v.8.1 that was launched.
=
=

but maybe it was a different product that I was installing.
=
=
Am running WIndows 7 x64 with Office 2013
with version 8.01 that was no problem.
Drama..
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby dlong48 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:53 am

Just installed 8.1 and no Outlook shows up as an available data source. X1 people--please respond. Everyone in the USA with your product is going to wake up and perform the installation and you are going to have lots of unhappy users.
dlong48

Postby shaibu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:55 am

Same outlook problem.

Windows 7 64 Bit
Outlook 2013 32 bit vs 15.0.4517.1509

PLEASE HELP
shaibu

Postby pebacher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 am

Dear X1 - I reported the problem earlier today where I no longer see Outlook email/contacts/calendar etc. If it is helpful I am running Outlook 2010 version 14.0.7106.5001 (32-bit). I am running in a Windows 7 environment. My PC is a 64-bit machine.
pebacher

Postby dseltz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:33 am

Same problem here. My Outlook email is not getting indexed and it is not showing up as one of the possible data sources.

I'm using Outlook 2010 32bit. I'm not sure how to determine whether X1 is a 32 bit or 64bit app but in the task manager I see the X1 Viewer has a *32 next to is. X1.exe does not.
dseltz

Postby ddelorey88X1Forum » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:52 am

How do we roll back to 8.01? Not happy about losing Outlook 2010 indexing....
ddelorey88X1Forum

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

Postby Rhonda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:05 am

We're working on a fix for this immediately. Please go back to the top of the thread to read my edited update regarding the outlook issues.

We'll have a fix very shortly.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 am

Does this reveal that 8.1 did not go anywhere near any beta testers?

With that many victims, someone should have spotted it earlier.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby dariuszb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am

Unfortunately this advice does not work:

*Additionally we have reverted back to 8.0.1 for the public install, if you prefer to go back you can do so by uninstalling - saving settings and reinstalling from the setup.exe*

I have removed broken 8.1 (missing outlook) and installed it again - this time the 8.0.1 version was pulled from the server. All good. However outlook is missing... looks like 8.1 did some damage.

Not happy.
dariuszb

Postby Rhonda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am

Kenward wrote:Does this reveal that 8.1 did not go anywhere near any beta testers?

With that many victims, someone should have spotted it earlier.

Yes and Yes.

You're right and after we fix this, we're going to work on the capability for users who wish to be -- to be notified of updates. Possibly through our new product installer.

We will keep you posted on that. Our first priority is to fix this, now.. today.. and hopefully in the next few hours.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am

dariuszb wrote:Unfortunately this advice does not work:

I have removed broken 8.1 (missing outlook) and installed it again - this time the 8.0.1 version was pulled from the server. All good. However outlook is missing... looks like 8.1 did some damage.

Not happy.

Please be ABSOLUTELY sure you are downloading from http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe

It is likely if you are using an old version of setup.exe that it has the newest installer attached to it. The problem lies within the version of installer you are using.
We need you to go back to the public download to be sure you are using the correct installer

Please try this and if you have a problem email me immediately at RR at X1 dot com
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Next

Return to Announcements