Page 2 of 2

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 am
by hdiaz
is there any way to get the previous version before this awful release.
Please provide a install package

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 am
by Kenward
hdiaz wrote:is there any way to get the previous version before this awful release.


Read the edited first message in this discussion:

X1 Discussion • View topic - X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update.

Sadly, X1's policy is not to provide the full installation package, only a "stub" that goes and gets the rest of the program.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 am
by hdiaz
I try to reinstall and I get an error
unable to connect to X1 service:
all attempts to start and connect to X1ServiceHost failed

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am
by dariuszb
Rhonda wrote:Please be ABSOLUTELY sure you are downloading from http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe

It is likely if you are using an old version of setup.exe that it has the newest installer attached to it. The problem lies within the version of installer you are using.
We need you to go back to the public download to be sure you are using the correct installer

Please try this and if you have a problem email me immediately at RR at X1 dot com


Have done full uninstall - removed old index/setting and X1 folders. Used http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe to install 8.0.1.

Installation successful and Outlook is back. At least we have some workaround to mitigate 8.1 issue. Thank you!

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - *ON HOLD* Update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am
by Rhonda
No problem, we're working on this are are getting the fix out as soon as we can.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 am
by Rhonda
Copying the update from above.

UPDATE 9/11/2013 11:45 PST

Greetings all,

We have isolated and implemented a fix for the issue affecting 8.1, and thus have removed the hold on upgrades. For some context, the issue related to the installer’s recognition of Outlook bitness.

In terms of resolving the issues with Outlook -- if you have not upgraded, you will be prompted to upgrade or you can check from updates and you should have NO issues at all.

For those of you who lost your Outlook data sources with the initial 8.1 upgrade, please use Control Panel > Programs and Features to remove your current X1 install. You may elect to save your current settings.
Then, download and install the 8.1 upgrade from here: http://support.x1.com/cs/x1searchsetup.exe

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue caused, and sincerely appreciate our forum posters and X1 clients who brought the issue to our attention. We of course strive to avoid negative scenarios like this, but appreciate the fact that our users reach out quickly when there is a problem, allowing our development team to resolve the issue as rapidly as possible.

Thanks again for your patience, and please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly here in the forums, or via our customer care team with any additional questions or concerns: http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html#login

Thanks again for your loyal support of X1, and once again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

X1 Team

Release Notes: http://help.x1s8.com/#release-notes-resources

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 pm
by jgunnett
Well tried to do this and now it is saying I do not have anymore activations left on my license? I only use this on my laptop can you please assist?

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 pm
by Rhonda
jgunnett wrote:Well tried to do this and now it is saying I do not have anymore activations left on my license? I only use this on my laptop can you please assist?


Ok, we deactivated your license, please try again.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 pm
by jgunnett
Thanks Rhonda for the fast response and excellent product I am up and running waiting for the new index to be built from the last day and a half. :)

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm
by Rhonda
jgunnett wrote:Thanks Rhonda for the fast response and excellent product I am up and running waiting for the new index to be built from the last day and a half. :)


anytime

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm
by pebacher
Dear X1 - thank you for the fix. It worked for me. I was LOST without X1 to help me through the day. Today served to remind me just how much I have grown to rely on X1. Paul

Re: X1 Search 8.1 is Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 pm
by Rhonda
pebacher wrote:Dear X1 - thank you for the fix. It worked for me. I was LOST without X1 to help me through the day. Today served to remind me just how much I have grown to rely on X1. Paul


Thank you for your patience. Really glad it's working for you.

For anyone else I am still standing by please let me know ASAP if you run into issues.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 pm
by therev
Thanks Rhonda and well done fixing things today.

Does the fixed update have the same version number/build number as the defective one? I'm trying to work out which I have.

I have done a clean install of 8.1 (which took ages by the way to download/install ... kept getting stuck mid-download and I had to cancel and try again ... overall it took about 2 hours) after seeing the resuming update post.

It seemed to be indexing, albeit slowly, but got stuck mid-way through my emails. I rebooted but t still seems stuck ... I have just got a error "not enough quota a is available to process this command"

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:19 pm
by mrwul
Everything working again now. Thanks!

HAPPY with the Copy and Move to for files

=
Image

=

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 am
by Rhonda
therev wrote:Thanks Rhonda and well done fixing things today.

Does the fixed update have the same version number/build number as the defective one? I'm trying to work out which I have.

I have done a clean install of 8.1 (which took ages by the way to download/install ... kept getting stuck mid-download and I had to cancel and try again ... overall it took about 2 hours) after seeing the resuming update post.

It seemed to be indexing, albeit slowly, but got stuck mid-way through my emails. I rebooted but t still seems stuck ... I have just got a error "not enough quota a is available to process this command"


The problem wasn't in the software but in the installer, so the version that should be downloaded and installed remains 8.1.0.

Regarding your other issues, that really sounds like something I'll have to have our QA folks look at. Can you run the diags tool and submit a case?

http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search_submit_case.html

And then send the case number to me at the email listed in my signature, and soon as those folks get in, I'll have them take a look.

Rhonda

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:04 am
by Rhonda
mrwul wrote:Everything working again now. Thanks!

HAPPY with the Copy and Move to for files

=
Image

=


That is good news!

Thanks for updating us.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 am
by Rhonda
therev wrote:Thanks Rhonda and well done fixing things today.

Does the fixed update have the same version number/build number as the defective one? I'm trying to work out which I have.

I have done a clean install of 8.1 (which took ages by the way to download/install ... kept getting stuck mid-download and I had to cancel and try again ... overall it took about 2 hours) after seeing the resuming update post.

It seemed to be indexing, albeit slowly, but got stuck mid-way through my emails. I rebooted but t still seems stuck ... I have just got a error "not enough quota a is available to process this command"


Also I searched through previous issues and I found an old closed issue where our developers pointed to the following link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms820778.aspx

and this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c6c79225-dd97-41ce-aeb2-b3f46f235872/error-0x80070718-not-enough-quota-is-available-to-process-this-command

On the second link one user states: "My solution was to go to Control Panel>Offline Files and increase the amount of disk space available to both offline files in general and the temporary space (for the sake of simplicity, I increased it by the same amount of the number of files I needed to move but less would probably have done). " (which you can see on the link was the solution for several people. )

Not sure if that might help you or not while we're waiting for someone on our end to take a look.

Rhonda

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:35 am
by Kenward
Rhonda wrote:The problem wasn't in the software but in the installer, so the version that should be downloaded and installed remains 8.1.0.


In other words the problem was due to the defective installation regime for X1 that upsets some of us, forcing multiple downloads for the number of installations we are allowed.

As others have pointed out, the current approach is also slow, taking hours to deliver downloads that can take minutes from other severs. (Please buy a server with a bit more capacity than a clapped out Apple II.) It is unforgiving, when it hands you have to start all over again.

What is wrong with simply providing links to the full package? Every other software house does this.

Some software people also offer a "smart installer" – in reality a dumbed down approach for less than smart consumers – but they also provide links to the complete package.

Is X1 so special that it needs to reinvent the wheel?

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 am
by Rhonda
Kenward wrote:
Rhonda wrote:The problem wasn't in the software but in the installer, so the version that should be downloaded and installed remains 8.1.0.


In other words the problem was due to the defective installation regime for X1 that upsets some of us, forcing multiple downloads for the number of installations we are allowed.

As others have pointed out, the current approach is also slow, taking hours to deliver downloads that can take minutes from other severs. (Please buy a server with a bit more capacity than a clapped out Apple II.) It is unforgiving, when it hands you have to start all over again.

What is wrong with simply providing links to the full package? Every other software house does this.

Some software people also offer a "smart installer" – in reality a dumbed down approach for less than smart consumers – but they also provide links to the complete package.

Is X1 so special that it needs to reinvent the wheel?


Thank you for your feedback. I will forward it to the team.

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 am
by mrwul
Kenward wrote:
What is wrong with simply providing links to the full package? Every other software house does this.



I fully agree with you!
In fact, personally, if there was an option to either use the downloader install, or download the full package, I would have downloaded the full package.
I prefer the full package. In case of a fresh install, it is simply faster to run it from harddisk. For me, I think it is more convenient.
So, actually, all those who would have downloaded the full package would not have run into these issues.

Further to my post: Where to download v.8.1 see: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6096

As you already hinted, a slight workaround to get/save the 'full package', in case of future installs...
During installation a new folder is created in: C:\Users\UserNamel\AppData\Local\Temp\ with a seemingly random name.
Two big files are stored there:
X1_PRO_6417.cab
X1_PRO_64.msi

and/or

X1_PRO_3217.cab
X1_PRO_32.msi

Both in different folders.

One might wish to copy them to a separate folder and use them in case of need.

Or, as an alterntive, check the X1Setup.log (C:\Users\UserNamel\AppData\Local\Temp) and notice the X1-downloadsite where the installer gets the its zip-files from

Download source: http://download.x1.com/downloads/pro/5000lk/pro64.zip
Download source: http://download.x1.com/downloads/pro/5000lk/pro32.zip

Again this is just an alternative, X1 will not support this workaround.

Also, the next versions, with a different bld# will likewise have another download folder.

I agree with you, it is better that X1 publishes both the downloader-install link as well as and the full package link.
Seems to me that it makes no difference - as in both cases the full package is downloaded anyhow, right?
=

Re: X1 Search 8.1 Release - Resuming *Update*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:07 am
by Rhonda
mrwul wrote:
Kenward wrote:
What is wrong with simply providing links to the full package? Every other software house does this.



I fully agree with you!
In fact, personally, if there was an option to either use the downloader install, or download the full package, I would have downloaded the full package.
I prefer the full package. In case of a fresh install, it is simply faster to run it from harddisk. For me, I think it is more convenient.
So, actually, all those who would have downloaded the full package would not have run into these issues.

Further to my post: Where to download v.8.1 see: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6096

As you already hinted, a slight workaround to get/save the 'full package', in case of future installs...
During installation a new folder is created in: C:\Users\UserNamel\AppData\Local\Temp\ with a seemingly random name.
Two big files are stored there:
X1_PRO_6417.cab
X1_PRO_64.msi

and/or

X1_PRO_3217.cab
X1_PRO_32.msi

Both in different folders.

One might wish to copy them to a separate folder and use them in case of need.

Or, as an alterntive, check the X1Setup.log (C:\Users\UserNamel\AppData\Local\Temp) and notice the X1-downloadsite where the installer gets the its zip-files from

Download source: http://download.x1.com/downloads/pro/5000lk/pro64.zip
Download source: http://download.x1.com/downloads/pro/5000lk/pro32.zip

Again this is just an alternative, X1 will not support this workaround.

Also, the next versions, with a different bld# will likewise have another download folder.

I agree with you, it is better that X1 publishes both the downloader-install link as well as and the full package link.
Seems to me that it makes no difference - as in both cases the full package is downloaded anyhow, right?
=


Just as a disclaimer, we do not support this method of install. Should something go wrong using this method, we'd only be able to tell you to uninstall and install it through the bootstrapper. Additionally, please do not report bugs with using this method -- they won't be fixed as we don't support install using the msi.