Restore startup screen / welcome message / initial help win

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Restore startup screen / welcome message / initial help win

Postby thinkstorm » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:35 am

Hello all,
When installing X1 fresh again, the preview pane shows a help window about "Fast as you type" search (see here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tc_detecon/2092653627/). I clicked it away ("Don't show me this information again"). However, I felt that it was really useful: when searching in documents, the first doc gets automatically selected, and the preview pane starts rendering the document. as a result, in my case depending on the first doc selected, X1 took between 5 and 20 seconds to respond.

Since I put the welcome message back on, X1 start works much faster. BUT: There is no settings / menu option to do that. it's in the ini file somewhere within your profile settings. For Vista, the ini file can be found in
Code: Select all
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\X1 Desktop Search\X1Config.ini

In section General, I deleted the line saying
Code: Select all
JSDontShowAgain=10

Cheers,

Thorsten Claus
www.thinkstorm.com
thinkstorm

Postby thinkstorm » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:12 pm

all great suggestions and comments.

i guess why I like this "bumper" screen better is exactly the reason the first poster explained: I don't have to explicitely turn on or off any previews, or have the problem that the preview will be enabled in some views when I forgot to turn it off before switching searches or minimizing the X1 window, etc.

the message does take a second to load, though, but I deem this the simplest and most usable solution to the problem.

Another tipp: If you really really do have to do searches while someone looks over your shoulder and you want to be on the safe side, then create a search that excludes certain directories, keywords, senders, etc. and safe these searches as "PUBLIC SEARCH" or something. That way, you can select that pre-saved search, and then refine your search while someone is watching you...

Cheers,
Thorsten Claus
www.thinkstorm.com
thinkstorm

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes