No email preview

X1® Professional Client Version - Raptor builds (both Beta and Release Candidates)

Moderator: Mods

No email preview

Postby jestep » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 am

I've been using X-1 for a long time. This just started and I have no idea why or how to fix it. Basically the preview pane is completely blank for all email related searches. It does show all the header fields: From, To, Cc, Bcc, etc., but the message content is blank.

I've tried restarting it completely. Haven't tried deleting the index or anything that drastic.
jestep

Re: No email preview

Postby Kenward » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 am

Outlook?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jestep » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am

Yes, using Outlook 2010. Computer is Win 7_64. No settings have changed in outlook in the past 3 months at least.
jestep

Postby Chris Wheaton » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 am

Jestep - like so many other issues I see here on the Forums - this issue would best be solved through a case submission:
http://www.x1.com/support/submit-case. Please include the X1 diagnostic files and any screen shots that would illustrate what your X is (is not) doing so that I might understand the nature of your problem.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby mrwul » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 am

Same here, W7-64b, Office 2010.

Note: at first I thought it had to do with me drastically re-organizing Outlook: creating new archive .pst folders, moving mails to archives, compacting, etc.
As the issue remained, I cleared the index files (Tools->Options->Indexing) and had all stuff re-indexed overnight.
still the issue remained.

I discovered a kind of 'workaround':
shortly re-index Outlook, it'll take a couple of minutes, but the preview is back then.
X1 v.6.7.4 bld 4054eu (june 6 2012)

It strikes me that that X1Pro 7, when launched starts out to do a short index-job, whereas X1 v6.7.4 does not, settings being identical.
Maybe (a long shot) the indexing at start of v7 solves the issue of no preview, whereas in v6 it should be triggered manually..?
Note: I manually launch both version.

=
Settings
=

mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby jestep » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 am

Support is apparently expired so I cannot submit a case. I haven't tried clearing out the index and would rather not since it's fairly large after this long. Indexing still appears to be working as normal. Just the preview pane for emails is blank after the header info.

Here's a current screenshot. All emails look just like this.

jestep

Postby Forumqnis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:36 am

I'm having the exact same issue as jestep. I'll submit a case, but it might be most efficient for a fix to be posted here in the forums since there can't be just two people having this problem.

Like jestep, I've been using x1 or a long time (many years) and have never experienced this particular problem before.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby jestep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am

Not sure what happened, but I messed around with it and here's what I came up with.

For some reason the index got messed up so that anything in the current index would not show the preview. I figured this out by stopped indexing altogether for a few days and then turned it back on. Once it caught back up, all the new emails have the correct preview. So, I deleted the current index and had it reindex the entire computer and everything is fine now. I just did it Friday night so it wouldn't bog down the computer while I was working on it. I can only speculate what actually caused the issue, but deleting and reindexing should fix it if it's exactly what I experienced.
jestep

Postby mrwul » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks.

Keep us informed if it'll 'hold', i.e. if the preview is still there (also from old posts!) tomorow and let's say next week.
A couple of weeks ago, I cleared the indexes and had X1 index all from scratch. The previews were there, the next day (or maybe after a few days, I donot remember exactly) the previews were gone. A short re-index got the previews back.
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mrwul » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 am

How about the previews? As for 6.7.4 I always need to re-index to see the preview.
The other day, the entire index was gone : "No Index" - this all of a sudden.
Had to re-index everything from scratch, took a full day.
Still no preview available.
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 am

Jestep - you mentioned that your support is expired, and while I know that to be true, I invited you to submit a case in relationship to this issue in a post on this forum page back in November.

The fact is that where I've seen this issue before it is almost always a sign of a stale or damaged index structure. One reason I don't post a "how to fix..." in this thread is that no one report of this issue is the same as the next; there are a number of ways and reasons that this can manifest. As a result, the best approach is a full case submission.

Anyone one this thread, current on support or not, that needs help in this area please submit a case with X1 diagnostic files from this location:b http://www.x1.com/support/submit-case.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Forumqnis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Just FYI to anyone who might view this thread looking for a solution: Two months after I completely re-indexed to fix the no-email-preview problem, it has happened again, so I'm forced to re-index again to fix it. Problem is, I have 2.5 million items, so indexing takes days, and it's difficult to get my work done without being able to search for days.

It would be nice if a fix could be found for this problem, or at least some type of procedure that would fix it instead of having to completely re-build the index.

Thanks.
Forumqnis
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to X1 Professional Client - 6.7.x (Raptor)