Indexing Priority dimmed

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Indexing Priority dimmed

Postby dj22 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 am

Hi, I can't change the Indexing Priority options because the whole section is dimmed/greyed out. How do I switch it back on?

Thanks
dj22

Re: Indexing Priority dimmed

Postby Kenward » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 am

How about a "Repair" on your X1 installation?

Does the location of the index look right?

And which version of X1 are you using?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby dj22 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 am

Thank you for your response. I am using Professional Client 6.2.4 Build 3631bp. I can't find a repair function. Do you mean in Control Panel of windows?

Another problem is that when I press Stop Inexing Files it does not respond. Perhaps the problems are linked.
dj22

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 am

DJ 22 - this grayed out options issue is a known issue when running version 6.2.4 on a Windows 7 system. Your best option is to upgrade to the newly released 6.7 product if you are eligible to do so or to purchase a license upgrade if needed.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 am

dj22 wrote:Thank you for your response. I am using Professional Client 6.2.4 Build 3631bp. I can't find a repair function. Do you mean in Control Panel of windows?

Yes. Repair in Windows.

But as you now know, this is an issue with an old version of X1. I didn't see it myself.

If you don't want to cough up for a fresh licence, repair or uninstall/reinstall might help.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm fairly sure if you have a license code that works with v6.2.4, it'll work with v6. This is because the old 9 digit codes stopped working with v6.2.4, v6.2.3 was the latest version that works with the old 9 digits.

That's from my memory anyway. Can't hurt to try and you can always go back to v6.2.4 if it doesn't work!

Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Tod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

If you have a 16-digit reg code, it will work in 6.7.
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby erkme73 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm

6.7 is PAINFULLY slow on my windows 7 machine. By the time it's finally ready to accept input, I've already forgotten what it is I'm looking for. I was so frustrated that I nearly gave up on X1 - then read others had moved back to 6.2.4 with success. I tried, and it's running fast now. But I have the same grayed out options problem.

So choices are:

1) Really unusably slow X1 performance, or
2) usable, but no options.

Is there a third alternative?
erkme73

Postby tjh » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 pm

erkme73 wrote:6.7 is PAINFULLY slow on my windows 7 machine. By the time it's finally ready to accept input, I've already forgotten what it is I'm looking for. I was so frustrated that I nearly gave up on X1 - then read others had moved back to 6.2.4 with success. I tried, and it's running fast now. But I have the same grayed out options problem.

So choices are:

1) Really unusably slow X1 performance, or
2) usable, but no options.

Is there a third alternative?

At the moment, no, I don't think there is.
However, it's been a while since the v6.7 release and I'm sure the X1 team has been hard at work during that time. I'd wait it out for the next version of X1 before making a decision.

The other thing I noticed that did seem to increase performance for me was to tell my AntiVirus software not to scan the X1 program directory or the X1 database directory. Means your Virus scanner doesn't kick in and add burden while searching.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 am

I'm running X1 6.7 in windows 7, on an old machine. I sometimes see slowness, but not always. It is particularly slow when first invoked. After that it is, if anything, swifter than earlier versions. Remember, X1 takes a least a couple of days to settle down, indexing things, and get up to speed.

When it comes to excluding bits from a virus scan, is there anyone here who can advise on the wisdom of that?

As it is, some virus software dislikes X1 because it uses a .scr file.

If X1 holds copies of email in this location, possibly holding nasty attachments, then isn't that a possible cause for concern?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby pgk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 am

Bit of an old thread.. Still happily using V6.2.3 on Windows 8 x64. It mostly works if you can live with pink backgrounds on all your saved search icons (??). But: the grayed out index priority settings persist, and it's a bit of a usability problem. If I want to index my email, I need to keep my hands off the computer until it's done.

My question: can I find the indexing priority somewhere in the ini files? I don't need to have the priority options accessible in the dialog, I just want to set this once and don't mind opening an ini file. So far I couldn't find the right setting, maybe a dev can comment? I looked through X1IndexService.ini and set IncrementalAllOutlookPostponeEnabled to 0, but unfortunately X1 sets it back to 1.
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 am

PGK - This is a known issue when running the 6.2.x product line on Windows7 or Windows8, and part of the reason why these products are unsupported on those Windows platforms.

It is time to consider investing in a new license.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby pgk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the quick response. I did see that it's a known issue, I was just wondering of there's a flag I can toggle in an ini file. Since this is the one minor issue I have with this version, it would be great if it's a quick fix. Any tweak you can suggest to this X1 veteran?
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 am

Sorry, there is no INI value that you can tweak to fix this.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby pgk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks, that sounds definite. Too bad, I guess X1 forces me to take a few minutes to actually think rather than frantically working.. As for upgrades, I might jump on board again for the next major release. Fingers crossed for clean Win8 styling and a reasonably touch friendly interface.
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 am

Chris Wheaton wrote:It is time to consider investing in a new license.

If you can afford Windows 8....

My attempt to install it last week failed. BSOD error probably down to Acronis.

After an hour's faffing about it rebooted, did a BSOD and then rolled itself hack to square one.

Glad I did it on my "mirror" disk.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 am

As a point of clarification, just in case someone might get the wrong idea, there are no known issues running X1 6.7.4 or any of our beta products that would result in the system crash event Kenward experienced and reported on in this thread.

I know Kenward in no way tried to suggest that X1 was at fault, but in the event someone might read that and come away with the wrong impression I hope my statement here will clear up any misconceptions.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby pgk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:51 am

Chris Wheaton wrote:PGK - This is a known issue when running the 6.2.x product line on Windows7 or Windows8, and part of the reason why these products are unsupported on those Windows platforms.

It is time to consider investing in a new license.

Well, after holding out for three years I found a solution to this issue. :D

For those lone souls still on version 6.2.3 or earlier and unable to change the indexing priority settings (radio buttons inoperative because grayed out), the workaround is simple: find the x1 shortcut that launches x1, probably named x1.lnk. Right click it and select 'properties'. Go to the compatibility tab, and check 'run this program in compatibility mode for', and choose Windows XP Service Pack 3. Hit OK. Launch X1 from that shortcut, go to tools > options > indexing. The indexing priority section should now be operational. Change it to your preferred setting and hit OK.

You can probably keep working with XP compatibility, but personally I went back to the X1.lnk and disabled compatibility mode again. This makes the 'indexing priority' section inoperable again, but it keeps the new setting that you just applied. Solved!

So now I can resist buying a new license for another few years. :mrgreen:
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion