No versions of X1 Search were found for installation

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

No versions of X1 Search were found for installation

Postby pjtaylor » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 am

Hi,

I would love to try this out being an X1 customer in the past. However, I am going via a proxy at work and I have had not been able to do previous installs. Lo and behold I get this message when I try to run the new X1 v8 installer so I assume that I have the same issue. I have now got the admins to add *.activation.x1.com and *.download.x1.com to be allowed through the proxy but I'm still getting the same error.

Anyone know of anything I can try to get it installed?
Paul Taylor
pjtaylor

Re: No versions of X1 Search were found for installation

Postby phillipv » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Same here, the v8 installer really stinks.

I was behind a proxy as well, switched to a guest net and the installer still fails with the generic "you do not have internet connectivity" message....really? IE, FF, and a host of other apps can all get out...but apparently not X1.

I am really discouraged with this product, who can't write some simple code for an app to reach into a cookie jar for use with a proxy? Apparently not X1.

I now have to reinstall 6.7.4 and reindex...I wasted my time with this.
phillipv

Postby csalsa » Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I too have this problem at my work place with the proxy filtering out "non-work related" and bad reputation websites.

But not only would an off-line installer be required, an offline activation process would also be needed.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be digging into this issue a bit more -- and we realize that there are needed improvements to our Proxy detection.
This has been slotted to be improved by the next release. We'll keep you posted.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Mon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm

rondata wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be digging into this issue a bit more -- and we realize that there are needed improvements to our Proxy detection.
This has been slotted to be improved by the next release. We'll keep you posted.

This is not a technical proxy issue but a web site blocking issue. My company uses a website blacklist for web addresses. As I rarely have problems, I would be concerned as to why web addresses used by X1 are on a corporate blacklist.

I worked with the X1 Developer team soon after X1 V7 was released where I downloaded from a X1 written test program for detecting and using proxies. It took a couple of attempts but then worked. This code from this test was then folded in to X1 V7 beta. I had no problems with the proxy since.

If I were to make a change, have the popup dialog for X1 updates report a connection could not be made instead of saying no update is found. Was "no update" because a connection could not be made or because there really is no update?

I think X1 will find it needs an offline solution for activation - such as using email to send the similar information but as a hash or encrypted string.

I have noticed from my software firewall that X1 makes a lot of calls to many different sites that are not X1. This is a privacy concern to me as to why so many sites are being contacted when I start X1.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Hello Csalsa,

I unfortunately don't have the answers to all your questions.

I will forward your feedback to our development team.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and suggestions regarding the proxy problem.

Regards,

rhonda

csalsa wrote:
rondata wrote:Hi All,

This is not a technical proxy issue but a web site blocking issue. My company uses a website blacklist for web addresses. As I rarely have problems, I would be concerned as to why web addresses used by X1 are on a corporate blacklist.

I worked with the X1 Developer team soon after X1 V7 was released where I downloaded from a X1 written test program for detecting and using proxies. It took a couple of attempts but then worked. This code from this test was then folded in to X1 V7 beta. I had no problems with the proxy since.

If I were to make a change, have the popup dialog for X1 updates report a connection could not be made instead of saying no update is found. Was "no update" because a connection could not be made or because there really is no update?

I think X1 will find it needs an offline solution for activation - such as using email to send the similar information but as a hash or encrypted string.

I have noticed from my software firewall that X1 makes a lot of calls to many different sites that are not X1. This is a privacy concern to me as to why so many sites are being contacted when I start X1.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby rob_sullivan » Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Rhonda Rondeau wrote:Hi All,

Thanks, +1 on the improved proxy detection (as in piggybacking off Windows/IE settings including cached username/password - like Chrome does). As a heavy user of X1 Professional Client 6.7.4, I'm champing at the bit to purchase Search 8. Unfortunately being behind an authenticating proxy on a fixed computer with no feasible way to get a direct Internet connection I can't even run the trial installer to ensure it meets my requirements before purchasing :(
rob_sullivan

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 10:55 pm

rob_sullivan wrote:
Rhonda Rondeau wrote:Hi All,

Thanks, +1 on the improved proxy detection (as in piggybacking off Windows/IE settings including cached username/password - like Chrome does). As a heavy user of X1 Professional Client 6.7.4, I'm champing at the bit to purchase Search 8. Unfortunately being behind an authenticating proxy on a fixed computer with no feasible way to get a direct Internet connection I can't even run the trial installer to ensure it meets my requirements before purchasing :(

That is part of the plan -- we should have updates in this area soon :)
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 am

Perhaps you can find the proxy test executable that was provided to me some time ago (two years?). Then X1 users having problems can run the proxy test executable and forward its output logs to X1?
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Tue May 14, 2013 6:12 am

csalsa wrote:Perhaps you can find the proxy test executable that was provided to me some time ago (two years?). Then X1 users having problems can run the proxy test executable and forward its output logs to X1?

Yeah -- I want to see if that's possible -- but in the end we can just fix it. Either way it won't be a problem in the next release. ;)
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby rtaheri » Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Rhonda wrote:Hi All,

Hi Rhonda,
Just wondering what you mean by "the next release". Is this, say, X1 Search 9 to come out a few years from now? Or, hopefully, the next bug fix release sometime soon? I have purchased the product, but cannot install it because of the proxy problem. I am willing to try a workaround, but it looks like there is none.

Thanks,
Reza
rtaheri

Postby Jogy » Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 am

Just wondering what you mean by "the next release". Is this, say, X1 Search 9 to come out a few years from now? Or, hopefully, the next bug fix release sometime soon?

Definitely a bug fix release, we are working on it to get it as soon as possible.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Tue May 21, 2013 6:19 am

Have you considered releasing an update to X1 7 beta unchanged but for a hard-coded end date of, say, 30th June 2013?

This means I could run the old X1 in the meantime until a release is ready in the next few weeks. It also takes the pressure off the X1 developers to get a fix out until they are ready.

I am one of the people who cannot use X1 V8 in a workplace behind a corporate proxy - be it because of the corporate proxy or because of a corporate blacklist.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby helmet » Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 am

The same applies to me: I am new to X1 and cannot activate because the proxy configuration is not detected by X1. Why is there no way to manually adjust the proxy configuration?
helmet

Postby Kenward » Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 am

helmet wrote:The same applies to me: I am new to X1 and cannot activate because the proxy configuration is not detected by X1. Why is there no way to manually adjust the proxy configuration?

Are you in a corporate environment where the IT police block things? That is sometimes the case with these freezouts.

Those of us with our own systems rarely see this issue.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby helmet » Tue May 28, 2013 2:32 am

Yes, you are right. (I will not be able to dictate the policies of our companies IT department.)
Again, why is there not way to manually configure the proxy settings? (Maybe, there is, but I am not aware of it.)

As a fallback, I tried to install version 6.7, but since the license has been changed, I can't type in the registration code (the only what I have is username and password for version 8). Strange.

My company has the potential for a lot of X1 users (I am the first test user) - but this proxy issue destroys everything.
helmet

Postby Kenward » Tue May 28, 2013 6:35 am

helmet wrote:My company has the potential for a lot of X1 users (I am the first test user) - but this proxy issue destroys everything.

Rumour has it, I read it here, that X1 is releasing an update in the next week or two that deals with the proxy issue.

Maybe it will mend your copy of X1 Search 8.

Others hit by this issue have done devious things like installing X1 Search 8 on machines that they can connect directly into the internet. Hardly an elegant solution. But be warned that at the moment Search 8 reports back to base every five days. If you aren't connected to the internet, phut, Search 8 hangs up and won't work.

As to 6.7, did you ever have it installed? If so you should have a 16-character registration code lying around somewhere.

PS If your company is seriously considering installing lots of X1s around the place, then it seems reasonable that it would allow it to get through the firewall.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby helmet » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am

Rumour has it, I read it here, that X1 is releasing an update in the next week or two that deals with the proxy issue.

Good to hear!

If you aren't connected to the internet, phut, Search 8 hangs up and won't work.

Exactly: with my notebook I would not have a problem (I could take it home ... to the internet) but my desktop is too heavy ...

Concerning the registration code: I had installed the trial version (at that time probably had used some registration code) and now I have the license (username/password - but no registration code) for version 8. Is the license of version 8 downgradable/compatible to version 6.7 - so that I can at least use the search?
helmet

Postby Kenward » Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 am

helmet wrote:Is the license of version 8 downgradable/compatible to version 6.7 - so that I can at least use the search?

Not that I know.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Tue May 28, 2013 8:06 am

helmet wrote:

Good to hear!

You might like to read this discussion:

X1 Discussion • View topic - How does "activation" work?

The good news is that the new release is promised for 4th June, a week today. But I wouldn't put my life in hold on that basis.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Rhonda » Wed May 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Like I said we're working in waves. We have reached out to several folks who have had some success. we're still working on the rest. reach out directly -- email in the sig :)
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8