Unable to connect to X1 service error

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Re: Unable to connect to X1 service error

Postby dvanvoorst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm

I updated my Garmin Express software today, and immediately after doing that my X1 was able to start up properly! Previously I had been receiving the Unable to connect to X1 service error consistently.
If you have Garmin software - see if the update is available.
dvanvoorst

Postby EricM » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:59 pm

X1 started failing for me on startup with this error a month ago or so, and I finally tracked down the problem. AVG Internet Security 2013 had moved this file into quarantine: C:/Program Files/X1 Search/X1ServiceHost.exe

When I restored it from quarantine and added the file to the AVG exceptions list, X1 started loading and working properly again. There must have been a virus signature update to the AVG software that suddenly started flagging that critical X1 file as a threat. So given other people's postings, there are several things that can go wrong and lead to the "Unable to connect" error.
EricM

Postby tinroofrusted » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:56 am

I am having frequent crashes with the error message: "Unable to connect to X1 service. A restart may fix this problem. Would you like to restart X1?"

Any suggestions for a fix for this would be appreciated.

The program that crashes is X1ServiceHost.exe
The version I am running is 8.3.1.1 (5003az)

Here is an excerpt from my log:

11 Feb 2015 09:36:19,557 [1] INFO SearchViewModel - StartNewSearch
11 Feb 2015 09:36:19,722 [1] INFO WebBrowserFormsHost - browser_DocumentComplete of about:blank TopLevel:True
11 Feb 2015 09:36:49,861 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Connecting to X1Viewer on: net.pipe://localhost/X1/X1Viewer_4151091592
11 Feb 2015 09:36:49,996 [169] ERROR X1ViewerManager - InitStellent failed
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d). ---> System.IO.PipeException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d).
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.FinishSyncRead(Boolean traceExceptionsAsErrors)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.SendPreamble(IConnection connection, ArraySegment`1 preamble, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.DuplexConnectionPoolHelper.AcceptPooledConnection(IConnection connection, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at X1.UI.Preview.IStellentService.InitStellent(String dllLocation)
at X1.UI.Preview.StellentClient.a(String dllLoc)
11 Feb 2015 09:36:50,087 [169] ERROR StellentControlHost - Restart Stellent failed
System.InvalidOperationException: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentUserControl.StellentControlHost_ErrorReturned(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.p()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.m()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.a(String A_0, Object A_1, Object A_2)
11 Feb 2015 09:36:51,187 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Starting C:\Program Files\X1 Search\X1Viewer.exe...
11 Feb 2015 09:36:51,319 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Connecting to X1Viewer on: net.pipe://localhost/X1/X1Viewer_4151091592
11 Feb 2015 09:36:51,341 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Connecting to X1Viewer on: net.pipe://localhost/X1/X1Viewer_4151091592
11 Feb 2015 09:36:51,351 [169] ERROR X1ViewerManager - InitStellent failed
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d). ---> System.IO.PipeException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d).
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.FinishSyncRead(Boolean traceExceptionsAsErrors)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.SendPreamble(IConnection connection, ArraySegment`1 preamble, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.DuplexConnectionPoolHelper.AcceptPooledConnection(IConnection connection, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at X1.UI.Preview.IStellentService.InitStellent(String dllLocation)
at X1.UI.Preview.StellentClient.a(String dllLoc)
11 Feb 2015 09:36:51,351 [169] ERROR StellentControlHost - Restart Stellent failed
System.InvalidOperationException: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentUserControl.StellentControlHost_ErrorReturned(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.p()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.m()
at StellentViewerControl.StellentControlHost.a(String A_0, Object A_1, Object A_2)
11 Feb 2015 09:36:52,356 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Starting C:\Program Files\X1 Search\X1Viewer.exe...
11 Feb 2015 09:36:52,439 [169] INFO X1ViewerManager - Connecting to X1Viewer on: net.pipe://localhost/X1/X1Viewer_4151091592
11 Feb 2015 09:47:55,329 [1] INFO SearchViewModel - Item selected, last sequence number = 49
11 Feb 2015 09:47:55,490 [1] INFO WebBrowserFormsHost - browser_DocumentComplete of about:blank TopLevel:True
tinroofrusted

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 am

When you say "crashes" do you mean that X1 throws up its hands in horror and quits? Or is there something more dramatic, like an attempt to send an email error report or, worse, a Windows crash?

I ask because I see "low level" crashes all the time. It is so common that I see it as a part of the "X1 experience". It causes no real grief I just have to tell X1 to restart.

This symptom has been around for quite some time here. Every now and then a new version of X1 arrives that promises to deal with these crashes. They may go away for a bit, but then they resurface.

I assume that the bug persists because the X1 folks can't pin it down to a single cause.

In the past, I have put it down to a flakey installation of Windows. But X1 is unique in creating these crashes, so that it probably not the cause. If it were, then I would expect to see other things falling over with the same frequency.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tinroofrusted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Kenward. The crash is just a crash of X1 Search. Nothing else crashes. No messages appear about emails being sent. I assume that the program is attempting to connect to the Windows service for X1 and cannot, would that be correct? Or is the program trying to "phone home" and cannot do so for some reason. Anyway, it is very annoying to me. I guess I will just restart and not worry about it.
tinroofrusted

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 am

OK. I asked because I see both of these things from time to time. Complete crashes are rare but "lost connections" are pretty much a daily event.

I don't think there is any "phone home" involved in these crashes. (That's another issue!)
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby enriquem » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello, I also have this problem. This problem appeared on my PC all of a sudden, with no changes in the OS or other programs that I know of. I have been using 8.3.3. for a while with no issues.
However my problem is aggravated by X1 refusing to run, no matter how many times I try to restart X1. And I use X1 A LOT for my daily work, so this is a real impact on my job.
I am very concerned.
BTW I have been a paying X1 user since...even before the Yahoo days!
If there is fix, my thanks in advance for posting it under this thread.
enriquem

Postby pdfct » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Enrique,

First off, I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you are encountering with X1. My suspicion is that one of your X1 indexes has become corrupt, and this is preventing X1 from successfully launching. There are a couple of things we can do to try troubleshoot this issue. On the rare occasion that an index is corrupted, the corruption usually affects the index for the source that presently has focus. For example, if you had been reviewing Outlook Email items at the time an event (e.g. loss of power) occurred, then the Outlook Email index would likely sustain the corruption. X1 is designed to relaunch to the same saved search that had focus at the end of the previous session. Unfortunately, if the index associated with that saved search/source has been corrupted, it is likely that X1 would not be able to mount it. In such a case, one would see the X1 Service error you describe.

Let's try the following to attempt to restore X1 to proper functionality:

1) Make certain that the X1 client is closed. Open the Windows Task Manager, access the Processes tab, and make certain that all X1-related process are closed (these may include: X1.exe, X1ServiceHost.exe, X1OutlookService32 or 64.exe, X1Viewer.exe, X1ContentExtraction.exe). If any X1 processes are still activie, end them from the Task Manager.

2) If, under step 1, you had to manually end any X1 processes, once they have all been closed, attempt to relaunch X1. If you encounter the same X1 Service error, once again quit X1 and all X1-related processes from the Task Manager, and proceed to step 3.

3) Let's edit the file that governs which saved search is loaded at startup of the X1 client. The file we want to edit is called "UIConfig.xml", and it is located in your X1 Search data directory. The default location of the data directory is here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\X1 Search
Browse the contents of the X1 Search folder to locate the UIConfig.xml file, then open it with a text editor (e.g. Notepad).

4) Scroll toward the bottom of the UIConfig.xml to locate text that looks similar to the following:
<Sessions>
<Current>1</Current>
<Session>
<Id>1</Id>
<Name>[New Session]</Name>
<SelectedSearch>Outlook.All Email.X1S</SelectedSearch>
<SelectedSearchOK>False</SelectedSearchOK>
</Session>
</Sessions>

The XML tag labeled "<SelectedSearch>" denotes the saved search that will be loaded upon launch. We want to change the value of this tag, so that a different saved search is loaded when launching X1.

If the current value of the <SelectedSearch> tag is the same as the example above ("Outlook.All Email.X1S"), replace it with this value: "All Files.X1S" (don't include the quotation marks). [Note: if the <SelectedSearch> refers to any source other than either Outlook Email or Files, please edit the tag with either of the above values--"Outlook.All Email.X1S" or "All Files.X1S".]
Save the edited file and close it.

5) Attempt to relaunch X1. If the cause of the X1 Service error is due to a corrupt index, then changing the saved search loaded at launch to a different source should allow you to successfully launch the X1 client. If you are now able to successfully launch X1, please proceed to step 6. If, however, you are still unable to launch X1, please contact our Customer Support team for further assistance--http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html.

6) If changing the saved search source in the UIConfig.xml has enabled you to successfully launch X1, then it is very likely that the source underlying the original saved search has become corrupt. Depending upon your level of comfort and interest at tinkering with your index, there are two ways we can proceed in an effort to correct the corruption:

a) delete the corrupted index, and re-index the source content - to delete a source index (e.g. Outlook Email), access the Manage Data Sources panel (click on the Menu icon comprised of three horizontal lines at the upper right of the application, and select Data Sources), locate the source connector, and click on the pencil icon (tooltip reads, "Edit Data Source"). This will display the option panel for that particular source. Scan the Options panel to locate the Delete Index button. Click Delete Index to remove the corrupt index. Close the Options panel to return to the Manage Data Sources panel. Click the Play icon adjacent to the data source to initiate creation of a new index for that source.

b) surgically remove a couple of the source index files - this procedure is a bit more advanced than option a) above; however, it may be worthwhile to try, if the index you are attempting to recover is very large, and if rebuilding that index would take a long time. As an overview of this procedure, we are looking to access the X1 Search data directory, locate all of the files with the extension .dat that are labeled with the source name associated with the index that has become corrupt, and delete a subset of that files collection. If you think this approach is warranted, let's proceed:

- access the X1 Search data directory. Again, the default location is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\X1 Search
- sort the contents of the data folder alphabetically
- scroll down the list of folder contents to locate files that are labeled with the source name of the corrupt index. Following are some examples of the kinds of files you will want to look for:
Email-wordpos-3.dat
Files-cols-1.dat
Calendar-attachparent-integers-0.dat

As an example, let's assume we are trying to fix a corrupt Outlook Email index. In that case, we would locate all of the files labeled "Email-*.dat" (e.g. Email-body_stored.dat, Email-body_stored-offs-4-back.dat, Email-cols-2.dat, etc.).

Once you have located all of the .dat files associated with the source underlying the corrupt saved search/index, notice that there may be several items displaying the same name, but appended with increasing numbers (e.g. -0.dat, -1.dat, -2.dat, etc.). We wish to remove the highest-numbered .dat files of all kinds across a set labeled with the same source name.

Therefore, if you discover that most of the .dat files for a source are labeled with -4.dat and -5.dat, you will want to manually delete the _two_ highest numbered .dat files of each type. For example, if there is an Email-cols-4.dat and an Email-cols-5.dat, you will want to delete those along with the Email-body_stored-offs-4.dat and Email-body_stored-offs-5.dat files. Once you have deleted ALL of the -4.dat and -5.dat (or -3.dat and -4.dat, if _those_ are the highest numbered files) labeled with the source name (in our example, "Email"), attempt to re-launch the X1 client.

Ideally, by deleting the highest-numbered .dat files associated with the corrupt source index, you will remove the corruption. At this point, the index will continue to build from this point forward.

IF THE ABOVE EFFORTS FAIL - Attempts to perform incremental deletions of portions of a corrupt index are often successful at restoring proper functionality. HOWEVER, sometimes the corruption is so severe that the incremental deletion approach simply will not work. In that case, the only thing one can do is to delete the entire index for the affected source (in our example above, one could either manually delete all of the Email-*.dat files from the X1 Search data directory, or following the directions under option a) above to delete the index through the X1 user interface).

Please let me know if any of these suggestions are effective at moving your X1 client past this problem.

Thanks very much for taking the time to report this issue.

Best Regards,
Alan Anderson

X1, Director Quality Assurance
pdfct
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Previous

Return to Bugs V8