X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 5 Build 6001os

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

Re: X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 5 Build 6001os

Postby syrag » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Kenward wrote:My experience has been that you have to work hard to get X1 to update a saved search. You need to "Ctrl + S" to do that.

I just realized it is not saving it between application starts; only in the current session. I don't recall that behavior before.

I have a saved search called bob. It is everything (to:bob OR from:bob) LAST MONTH.

To filter for things that also had larry in them, I added larry to the search box. I did NOT click save and did NOTCTRL-S. I left the search and did something else. When I came back, larry was saved in the search. I did confirm, if I fully exit X1 (click exit) it is NOT saved....

Maybe that is the same behavior. I don't recall now.
syrag

Postby Jogy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,

Normally X1 does not have to be started with administrator privileges under Windows 10 or Windows 7. So I am sure that there is another application that interferes with the X1 internal communications.
Can you please try the Handle utility, so that we know which is the application causing problems?

Jogy

pstrisik wrote:
Jogy wrote:Hi,

from the logs it looks like the problem is exactly this - some other application is capturing the named pipes communications.

Can you try to start X1 as administrator and see if it will work?

Also, download the Handle utility from SysInternals: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/handle,
save it in a folder, for example c:\tools, then run a command prompt as administrator, type cd c:\tools, then handle net.pipe
This will list all processes that are using named pipes. For example, if X1 is running properly, you may see something like this:

Code: Select all
Nthandle v4.1 - Handle viewer
Copyright (C) 1997-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        A48: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRVJWSUNFX0pPR1kv
X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        CE4: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRUFSQ0hNQU5BR0VSX0pPR1kv

See what other processes are listed, try to stop them and run X1 again.

Well, I feel a bit silly. Running as administrator does the trick. I'm still adjusting to Win 10 in this regard. I think my admin account in Win 7 made explicitly running as admin unnecessary while in Win10 it sometimes is. Not that I would have thought of this simple solution anyway!

Thanks for your patience and again for your help.
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby pstrisik » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 pm

It seems to be Cybereason RansomFree. Besides X1, it turns up that one along with Windows Firewall Control and IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe. These last two have been running for some time. I added RansomFree pretty recently.

Terminated RansomFree and ran X1 not as admin and it started up fine, so I think we have our culprit.

Code: Select all
C:\>handle net.pipe

Nthandle v4.1 - Handle viewer
Copyright (C) 1997-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - http://www.sysinternals.com

wfcs.exe           pid: 3632   type: Section        418: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL0JJTklTT0ZULw==
IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe pid: 8580   type: Section        6C8: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1BVQkxJU0hFUi8=
X1.exe             pid: 4208   type: Section        AAC: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1gxU0hPV1dJTkRPV1NFUlZJQ0VfVFAtUDUwL1BFVEVSLw==
X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 8448   type: Section        C44: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1gxU0VSVklDRV9QRVRFUi8=
X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 8448   type: Section        D44: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1gxU0VBUkNITUFOQUdFUl9QRVRFUi8=
X1OutlookService32.exe pid: 10472  type: Section        3F4: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1gxL1gxT1VUTE9PS1NFUlZJQ0UzMl8yMTAzNzQ4MTkv
X1Viewer.exe       pid: 15636  type: Section        420: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL1gxL1gxVklFV0VSXzIxMDM3NDgxOS8=
CybereasonRansomFreeServiceHost.exe pid: 15192  type: Section        7B0: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rLw==
CybereasonRansomFreeServiceHost.exe pid: 15192  type: Section        7D0: \BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL01FWC8=

Jogy wrote:Hi,

Normally X1 does not have to be started with administrator privileges under Windows 10 or Windows 7. So I am sure that there is another application that interferes with the X1 internal communications.
Can you please try the Handle utility, so that we know which is the application causing problems?

Jogy

..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks for the information. I have installed this app and I have reproduced the same problem.

We will contact them and ask them to fix their software so that they do not break communications.

In the meanwhile we will search for a solution that would allow X1 to work in such cases.

Jogy

pstrisik wrote:It seems to be Cybereason RansomFree. Besides X1, it turns up that one along with Windows Firewall Control and IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe. These last two have been running for some time. I added RansomFree pretty recently.

Terminated RansomFree and ran X1 not as admin and it started up fine, so I think we have our culprit.

Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby pstrisik » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 am

Jogy wrote:Thanks for the information. I have installed this app and I have reproduced the same problem.

We will contact them and ask them to fix their software so that they do not break communications.

In the meanwhile we will search for a solution that would allow X1 to work in such cases.

Jogy

pstrisik wrote:It seems to be Cybereason RansomFree. Besides X1, it turns up that one along with Windows Firewall Control and IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe. These last two have been running for some time. I added RansomFree pretty recently.

Excellent! The workaround is to change the X1 shortcut to run as administrator. That seems to work ok, at least on my system.
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Previous

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases