Giving up on X1

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Giving up on X1

Postby Abdul69 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 am

I have been a long time X1 user, but I am giving up.

The latest version (8.6) of X1 is a huge disappointment.

For starters, if I maximize the X1 window, it doesn't fill the whole screen. It has a black bar along the bottom and to the right hand side. Real estate is tight enough without an application not correctly using all available space.

Next, message preview is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works and other times, like right now, it doesn't. The loading icon just wears a groove into the screen.

Furthermore, the primary reason for being a long term X1 user and staunch advocate is that the search results were very reliable and that is extremely important. I can no longer make that claim. Right now I am searching for e-mails that I know exist, yet X1 doesn't return any hits at all. Once you lose confidence in the results of a search, it severely degrades the utility of the search.

X1 is also terribly slow. Much slower than it used to be. Indexing seems to take forever, and as I type this, it somehow has managed to freeze totally. End task. Again.

The latest straw that broke the camel's back is this message that I keep getting, even though I have followed the recommendations multiple times.

---------------------------
Microsoft Office Outlook
Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.
OK

Despite the message title, this is an X1 dialog.

Outlook has been set as the default client many times. It is the only client on my machine.

I'm not sure I want to keep trying to fix this just to get back to searches and previews that don't work.

In short, I give up.

Thanks for the decade plus X1, but it's time for us to part ways.
"Don't believe everthing you think."
Abdul69

Re: Giving up on X1

Postby swas » Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Hello,

Is there any follow up to this post?

I am essentially in the same boat - I have a new Windows 10 i8 pc that X1 is essentially useless with. It has Office 2013 installed.

I have used X1 for well over 10 years and has always been great - and fast.

It is only since the recent PC upgrade where I couldn't continue with the older X1 version. I didn't mind re-paying the registration fee because I liked the software and had served me well.

But now it is useless to me - not all searches return correct results, but more importantly so s l o w. It can take 30 - 60 seconds to work, and you can't type multiple characters at once (You have to wait each time). I avoid using it if I am with a client as it is embarrassing sitting there saying 'hang on a minute...'.

It also often hangs the whole windows taskbar while doing the search.

I'm really at the point of needing it fixed, or just punt it. I'm now more relying on Outlooks limited 'Search current mailbox' to try and dig up old emails.

I can only assume no response to Abdul69's query suggests no action / no interest?

Thanks

swas
swas

Re: Giving up on X1

Postby davidlfair » Fri May 17, 2019 3:30 pm

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM, and it is driving me nuts! Does anyone at X1 pay attention to these posts? I was running Outlook 2016 but I've moved to Outlook 365. Win10. Outlook is set as my default mail client. But every time I try to start X1 (and I have the latest), I get the message, "Microsoft Office Outlook: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client is unable to fulfill the message request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client." Again, Outlook is already the default mail client. At this point, X1 hangs, and I have to go to Task Manager to kill it. I've tried removing X1, deleting all of X1's files, and reinstalling. Doesn't matter. X1 is unusable. On a brand new Win10 system with an 8th gen Intel processor. Pathetic. I did have good run for many years, but I paid for something utterly unusable. And I am NOT going to pay for X1 Support to find a solution to why their application is nonfunctional.
davidlfair

Return to Bugs V8