Tray icon Exit functionality not correct?

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Tray icon Exit functionality not correct?

Postby nzeldes » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:21 am

Hi,

IMHO, the Exit (stop indexing) functionality of the X1 tray icon is all wrong(either by design or because something is awry on my system?).

The terms "Exit" and "Stop Indexing" are contradictory. "Exit" implies the tray icon disappears from the tray and the application terminates. "Stop Indexing" implies the icon remains, the ability to launch the Search window remains, but the indexing stops; and the tray menu item should change to "Resume Indexing". In reality neither behavior is what is implemented.

When I select "Stop Indexing" what happens is the icon remains in the tray for quite some time but its RMB menu is no longer available. Half a minute or so later the icon disappears and the applicaiton processes terminate.

Cheers,
Nathan
nzeldes

Postby gww » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:27 am

I agree
Regards, grant

Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
Outlook 2007
gww
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby w0qj » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:12 pm

[quote="pgk"]Couldn't agree more. I think the only right-click options the tray icon should have are "Show X1", "Pause indexing" (toggle), and "Exit". The latter should also remove the icon. -pgk[/quote]

***agree 101% about adding "Exit" into right-click Context Menu of X1 (before X1 has started up for the first time after reboot).

when i do a Compacting of my OE email, i always shut down X1 first.
without this "Exit" option, i actually have to open X1 by clicking on its Icon, then shut-down X1 manually.
a pain...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Outlook and X1

Postby nzeldes » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:40 am

I agree with everyone who agreed with me! 8)
I fully support pgk's idea of the tray icon changing color or such when indexing is disabled.

I too face the need to turn off X1 (and had the same issue with earlier local search products) when doing Outlook maintenance. In my case it is when I back up my notebook using Connected-TLM. The PST files will not get backed up if X1 is running (for all I know, regardless of whether it is indexing at the moment) because X1 "grabs" the PST and TLM sees it as in use by another app. Currently I actually have to search and destroy the two X1 processes from within task Manager (too lazy to write an applet to do it for me) before running a backup.

Solutions:
a. Make X1 less possessive (release the PST except when actually indexing it!)
b. Make the "Stop Indexing" menuitem work properly in this respect.

Cheers,
Nathan
nzeldes

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes