Having a Problem With Exif Tag Search on JPEG Images

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

Having a Problem With Exif Tag Search on JPEG Images

Postby Steve Tomalin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 am

Hi Forum,

I recently read the release notes found under the URL:

http://help.x1s8.com/release-notes-resources

Included there was the following:

X1 Search 8.6 (released March 14th, 2018)
New Features:
• Added the ability to search and refine by select Microsoft Office and EXIF metadata fields

I added some Exif tag values to a few .JPG images, deleted my Files index, ticked the option 'Index additional metadata' and then re-indexed my files. Once the re-index was complete, I was expecting to be able to find the images, based on a search for the tag values, but it doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug, have I misunderstood what this new feature is supposed to do or support?

Any assistance or advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steve
Steve Tomalin

Re: Having a Problem With Exif Tag Search on JPEG Images

Postby Steve Tomalin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am

Hi again,

I think I might have partially answered my own question. Having just added the same values that I had previously added as 'Tags' to the Title, Subject and Comments fields of one of the images, that image file is now being returned in the search results. I guess that the 'fixed' image properties, such as Title, Subject and Comments are indexed, but maybe individual 'tags' that are added do not.

If push comes to shove, I think I will just double check that the Comments field got indexed (in my last test above) and then use that.

Cheers Steve
Steve Tomalin

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases