Different Indexes or Source PST filtering?

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Different Indexes or Source PST filtering?

Postby GregMiddleton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 am

I have 15 years worth of email PST files. Most of these are seperated by Year, but I have one PST that is specifically where I place Proposals that we did not win during the sales process.

Because of the nature of our business, a lot of the document content is repeated in proposals. i call the PST Archived Proposals.

98% of the time I don't want to search the PST-Archived Proposals.

I see where i can uncheck Outlook as a data source, but how can I uncheck this PST-Archived Proposal except for when I specifically want to search it?

There doesn't appear to be way to have different Indexes that have unique sources, so i can switch between index files.

I'd be surprised if this is unique problem to me.

Suggestions?
GregMiddleton

Re: Different Indexes or Source PST filtering?

Postby Kenward » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:09 am

It should be easy enough to create a custom search that excludes the "Archived Proposals".

Go to one of your regular searchers and ensure that you add the "Path" column to the search. Then use that column to exclude (Archived Proposals.pst-) that column. Then save that search and use that when you do not want to find things in that search.

I can think of other ways of achieving the desired result, but that should point you in the right direction.

Find a column that lets you exclude the source location. Save that search, then use that for future searches.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:56 am

Hi Kenward,
Ah, that is nice!
Must confess, I wasn't aware of this feature/option.

That is to say... if the below indeed is what you meant.

mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby GregMiddleton » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Kenward wrote:It should be easy enough to create a custom search that excludes the "Archived Proposals".

Go to one of your regular searchers and ensure that you add the "Path" column to the search. Then use that column to exclude (Archived Proposals.pst-) that column. Then save that search and use that when you do not want to find things in that search.

I can think of other ways of achieving the desired result, but that should point you in the right direction.

Find a column that lets you exclude the source location. Save that search, then use that for future searches.

Thanks Ken! I think this is going to work for me.
GregMiddleton

Return to General Discussion V8