X1 Search 8 Does Not Recognize Internal Drives

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

X1 Search 8 Does Not Recognize Internal Drives

Postby MarkO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:43 am

I am running x1 Search 8.1.1. on Windows 7 64 bit. OS (C:\) and Recovery (D:\) are on a solid state drive. "My Documents," "My Photos," and "My Music" are in a partition (G:\) on a separate internal hard drive. I moved numerous old documents that I still consult from time to time to a different partition, "Storage," (K:\) and reorganized the partitions.

The problem is that X1 did not update. It does not detect the G:\ partition at all and so does not index "My Documents." It shows the "Backups" (I:\) partition as "K:\", but "K:\" is the "Storage" partition, which it recognizes as "H:\." Now, all these partitions are on the same physical internal hard drive. So, X1 "sees" the physical drive but fails to recognize the separate partitions.

X1 also shows a "Main Program Drive" as "not present." That is a separate physical hard drive that was removed from the system.

I uninstalled and reinstalled X1 thinking that might nudge it in the right direction, but that did not work.

Recognizing partitions should be something a file search program should be able to do. The program appears to have promise, and I paid good money for it. I would appreciate a solution. Thanks in advance.
MarkO

Re: X1 Search 8 Does Not Recognize Internal Drives

Postby Kenward » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 pm

MarkO wrote:Recognizing partitions should be something a file search program should be able to do.

Indeed. This is the first report that I can remember of X1 not spotting internal drives. Which is why I suspect something wonky on your system that is confusing X1.

X1 won't index files on extra drives unless you tell it to do so. Have you been into Menu->Data Sources->Files->Options to confirm that this drive is missing?

I assume that the drives are not "Hidden" and that they show up properly in Explorer and in Device Manager.

If this is a recent purchase and none of the above applies, you should raise this with support. They might find it an interesting case to investigate.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby MarkO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Kenward, Thanks for your response.

You ask, "Have you been into Menu->Data Sources->Files->Options to confirm that this drive is missing?" Yes. That's what's driving me nuts.

You ask (or I take it as a question) whether "the drives are not 'Hidden' and ... show up properly in Explorer and in Device Manager." They are not hidden. All the partitions show up in Explorer. As for Device Manager, it shows all physical drives, the solid state drive the OS is on, the physical drive with the partitions in question, and a third physical drive that is not at issue here.

I have a screenshot of the drives (i.e., partitions) that X1 recognizes and a screenshot of Explorer showing them all.

This is, as you suspect, a "recent purchase," and I will submit it to support.

Thanks again.
MarkO

Postby MarkO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:09 pm

All,

As a follow up to my earlier post, I found a file, "FilesConfig.xml." It shows the old partition drive letters and labels. I assume X1 did not update this file and that this file is locking the partitions X1 recognizes. Even though the file has a comment saying it should not be edited manually, is editing it a viable work around? The contents of the file are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--File Scanner configuration file. Do not modify manually. All data is case sensitive.-->
<config>
<root path="C:\" name="C:\" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly" type="FIXED_DRIVE">
<folder path="C:\Gladinet" name="Gladinet" whatToScan="None" />
<folder path="C:\MSOCache" name="MSOCache" whatToScan="None" />
<folder path="C:\Program Files" name="Program Files" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly">
<folder path="C:\Program Files\Uninstall Information" name="Uninstall Information" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly" />
</folder>
<folder path="C:\Program Files (x86)" name="Program Files (x86)" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly">
<folder path="C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information" name="InstallShield Installation Information" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly" />
<folder path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Uninstall Information" name="Uninstall Information" whatToScan="WhiteListOnly" />
</folder>
<folder path="C:\ProgramData" name="ProgramData" whatToScan="None" />
<folder path="C:\VritualRoot" name="VritualRoot" whatToScan="None" />
<folder path="C:\Users" name="Users" whatToScan="None">
<folder path="C:\Users\Mark_Office" name="Mark_Office" whatToScan="None">
<folder path="C:\Users\Mark_Office\Box Sync" name="Box Sync" whatToScan="All" />
<folder path="C:\Users\Mark_Office\Documents" name="Documents" whatToScan="All" />
<folder path="C:\Users\Mark_Office\Dropbox" name="Dropbox" whatToScan="All" />
</folder>
</folder>
<folder path="C:\Dropbox" name="Dropbox" whatToScan="None">
<folder path="C:\Dropbox\Apps" name="Apps" whatToScan="All" />
<folder path="C:\Dropbox\Olson Law Docs" name="Olson Law Docs" whatToScan="All" />
</folder>
</root>
<root path="H:\" name="Storage (H:\)" whatToScan="All" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="I:\" name="Photoshop Scratch (I:\)" whatToScan="None" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="J:\" name="ArcherNorris (J:\)" whatToScan="All" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="K:\" name="Backups (K:\)" whatToScan="None" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="\\?\Volume{509004ca-5e68-11e3-88ad-f04da2f61281}\" name="Main Program Drive" whatToScan="None" type="REMOVABLE_DRIVE" />
<root path="\\MAOLAWNAS\Documents" name="\\MAOLAWNAS\Documents" whatToScan="WhiteListContent" type="NETWORK_FOLDER" />
<max-content-size value="30" unit="Megabytes" />
<realtime-scan-enabled value="True" />
<account-removed value="False" />
</config>
MarkO

Postby Jogy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 am

Hello,

you can try to rename the FilesConfig.xml file. It might be a good idea to also backup the Files index if you do not want to lose it.
Then start X1 and open the dialog for configuring the Files data source. Does it now recognize the new drives and partitions?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby ALM4 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 am

MISSING DRIVES MISSING PARTITIONS LOST DRIVES

Also had problems with drives and partitions not being recognized. My Win10, X1 v8.6.2 system has 4 internal drives, 4 external USB drives and lots of partitions C:\ -->V:\.

X1 Files Options menu was ignoring N: O: and T: partitions even though it picked up on other partitions contained on the same physical internal drive.

My solution was to manually insert the missing drive information in FILESCONFIG.XML after making a backup copy of course.

</root>
<root path="N:\" name="T7-N (N:\)" whatToScan="WhiteListContent" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="O:\" name="SSD2 Storage (O:\)" whatToScan="WhiteListContent" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />
<root path="T:\" name="SSD2-T (T:\)" whatToScan="WhiteListContent" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />

<root path="V:\" name="Backups (V:\)" whatToScan="AttributesOnly" type="FIXED_DRIVE" />

FILESCONFIG.XML is found in the same directory as your X1 indexes - which curiously X1 will not let you search for.

Even though this is an old thread, I am posting this because I spent many hours in the last year searching for a solution and only a oblique reference to FILESCONFIG.XML put me on the track.
ALM4

Return to General Discussion V8