X1 co-founder

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

X1 co-founder

Postby Scrope » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:04 am

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Mark Goodstein, co-founder of Find (X1)? He has done a great job over the years.

Since receiving a last email from Mark in Apri, I have sadly found the company far less pro-active. Has anyone else found the same?

Regards, Peter
Scrope

Re: X1 co-founder

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:32 pm

Scrope wrote:Can anyone tell me what has happened to Mark Goodstein, co-founder of Find (X1)? He has done a great job over the years.

Since receiving a last email from Mark in Apri, I have sadly found the company far less pro-active. Has anyone else found the same?

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

Mark is still an advisor to X1. However, he is no longer active in the day to day workings of the company. Though he does read the forums regularly and I enjoy much "feedback" from him when we've been absent for too long.

That said, you are correct about the drop in responsiveness. As influential as Mark has been it's more related to Noel joining the QA team (the forums were his dedicated area before transfer). Moving forward, you'll be hearing more from Jerry, Greg and myself.

I'd apologize again but you're all tired of hearing it, I'm sure. Now that Greg is out of training, we'll go back to showing our appreciation and commitment via actions (read: responses).

Thanks for caring enough to write about it. I do appreciate it.
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby w0qj » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:21 pm

Not too many people noticed, but in April'05 the private company X1 received additional venture capital funding of US$10 million to develop its X1 Enterprise Edition class of applications.
http://www.x1.com/about_us/release_05_04_21.html

What does this mean?
Venture Capital organization(s) gets to nominate some of its own people into the Board of Directors that run X1.
This should result more focused efforts into X1 Enterprise class of applications for X1 as a whole, as below:

-X1 Enterprise Edition class of programs
-the "Lotus Notes" Edition of X1 Desktop Search Platform (yes, it's a "Platform" now).

What this all means to an "old" X1 Desktop Search Outlook Edition user and public beta tester since the days of v3.0?

1. One cannot help but to get the "feeling" that X1 is almost giving up its attention/efforts in its traditional/old "Outlook Edition" X1 Desktop Search product.

==>The v5.1 beta ended without even informing its public beta testers; we found about the official v5.1 release via the "Downloads" section of the web site.

==>In fact, some of the old bugs that have re-appeared back into v5.1 XDS have been reported months ago, and still have not been rectified.
Presumably X1 had been focusing almost 100% of its attention to the end-June roll-out of the X1 Enterprise Search, and hopefully things will improve.
==>If X1 has not noticed already, many of the public beta testers have been very silent in the forums due to lack of response; i would personally feel that X1 is in danger of losing its critical mass of past supporters of the old XDS "Outlook Edition".

==>X1 didn't even bother with its public beta testers for the v5.2 XDS recently released, which presumably because it entails only Lotus Notes improvements and better integration with X1 Enterprise Edition class of applications.

==>There has been no major feature improvements for "Outlook Edition" XDS for half a year now (since the v5.0 came out), despite comments about more exciting features coming up for XDS.
The only major upgrade was for business users, the v5.1 "Lotus Notes" edition of XDS.

==>Other Desktop Search programs (some of which are free) have been agressively matching XDS feature for feature, and dare i venture to suggest that in a few features they may now be better than X1.
==>X1 seems to believe they can turn around X1 by supplementing or even replacing its present income stream with those from its new Lotus Notes Edition of XDS & X1 Enterprise Edition for business users.

Whilst it may well be very exciting times for Business Users & X1 Enterprise Edition, I personally can't help but feel that the "old" X1 Desktop Search Outlook Edition users and public beta testers are being left out in the cold.

Given its present stagnant trajectory, may I endeavour to suggest that within one year, XDS Outlook Edition is in danger of becoming just another Desktop Search program out there (and a very expensive one at that).

For one, X1 should look at balancing its features/pricing vs. freeware such as Yahoo Desktop Search. For details:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=18 ... 89f5c4b600

Finally, this is not meant as a flame, and hopefully X1 will further enhance its excellent customer support/response that as recently as half year ago did achieve.
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby yeswork » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 pm

yeswork
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:28 am

yeswork wrote:Is X1 already dead?

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=1639

I'll skip the obvious Samuel Clemens paraphrase regarding the rumors of our death and get to the heart of the matter.

There are a couple of concerns I'd like to address. We've left a lot of uncertainty in the air around our current direction, the role of Enterprise and our development plans for XDE. We know that the lack of feedback played a role in fanning the flames of concern about XDE's future. That's our fault - and my responsibility - and it will not happen again.

Mr. Wong is correct when he says that our investment funds will result in a more focused effort into enterprise class applications. That does not mean, however, that we're turning our back or abandoning XDE. A lot of time and effort has gone into XDE. You folks know it because many of you contributed that time and work. We are not abandoning XDE. To the contrary, we've staffed up our User Experience team to better understand what you want and need from XDE. The planning for XDE v6 is well underway and a new beta will be opened in the next month or so. If you'd like to be a part of that process you can find the online beta application form here: http://www.x1.com/support/beta.html.

You have my personal commitment that this beta will be more in line with what you've come to expect from X1. We'll share a ton of information and let you know clearly when it will end and what happens with the software at that point. In return, we'll ask for the ability to interact with you individually and as a group in more ways than just email. This includes web conferences, phone calls and private chats.
Yes, we have been very focused on X1 Enterprise. Getting our Enterprise product up to the level of XDE is critical to the long term success of X1 as a whole. To date, XDE has had years of development. XEE needed the focus. The intergration between the Enterprise server and XDE is exactly why you need not fear the future of XDE. It's also why we've adopted the "platform" terminology. Thanks to the feedback of loyal users and testers like you, we've come to see that X1 has created a "way" of finding and interacting with your information. That way is defined in how XDE presents your information in a clear, usable manner. You'll see the platform concept in action with Yahoo Desktop Search, Earthlink's MailBox and X1 Enterprise.

So, X1 is not dead. Not by any means. We're a long-term player in this space and have taken the steps necessary (though somewhat painful in the short term) to position ourselves for ongoing success for the sake of our customers, employees and investors. Again, if you're interested in the playing a part in the development of v6, please use the application form here: http://www.x1.com/support/beta.html.
Rob McClinton
Director of Customer Care, X1

My manager is Josh Jacobs
President, X1
Rob
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Lameness

Postby yeswork » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:18 pm

No acknowledgment of sign-up/enrollment to participate in beta! Poor public relations.

In this thread, X1 seemed to be looking for more insight into for the single-user perspective; maybe individual sales could co-exist with corporate purchases.

Since I depend on "search" to extract information from my computer's hard drive and am a self described single-user, I signed up on July 23 for the X1 beta program . To date I have received no sign that X1 has parsed my information/request. How hard could letting me know my input had been received?

Yes, X1 is dead.
yeswork
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: Lameness

Postby Jerald Metz » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:00 pm

yeswork wrote:No acknowledgment of sign-up/enrollment to participate in beta! Poor public relations.

In this thread, X1 seemed to be looking for more insight into for the single-user perspective; maybe individual sales could co-exist with corporate purchases.

Since I depend on "search" to extract information from my computer's hard drive and am a self described single-user, I signed up on July 23 for the X1 beta program . To date I have received no sign that X1 has parsed my information/request. How hard could letting me know my input had been received?

Yes, X1 is dead.

yeswork,

As we do not have a beta program in process, we have not yet contacted people to invite them to participate.

There will be another beta in the coming months. As we get closer to launching a new beta program, we will reach out to our beta community.

Thanks!
Jerald Metz
Product Manager, X1 Search 8

Please feel free to reach me directly at jmetz (at) x1 (dot) com
Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion