Feature request: need an "Exit X1 when Outlook exits&qu

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Feature request: need an "Exit X1 when Outlook exits&qu

Postby christopher.rath@tpi.net » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:43 am

I've done a search of the forums and see a number of posts about this topic, but only one response from X1: and that response says, "Yes, you need to manually exit X1 to close your PST files and release your Exchange connection."

I run Outlook all day long. The only time I exit Outlook is when I plan to reboot or run a backup. I don't always remember to exit X1, and when I don't remember to exit X1 my backup fails; which leaves me needlessly exposed (since I don't have time in the morning to re-run the backup when it fails).

Please add an option to the X1 configuration that causes X1 to fully close when Outlook is closed.
christopher.rath@tpi.net

Further thinking on this suggestion

Postby christopher.rath@tpi.net » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:17 am

Since posting the suggestion I have noticed that when I exit Outlook I get a message from X1 telling me that now that I've exited Outlook I'm going to get another request to reconnect to email (so that X1 can continue indexing my email).

What this tells me is that all the code necessary to implement my suggestion is already part of the X1 product. The only change needed to X1 is the addition of a preference setting that directs X1 to exit when it detects that Outlook is gone; instead of reestablishing a connection to my Exchange server.

As a side-note, I never see any request to reconnect when X1 accesses my Exchange server, because I use NTLM authentication to talk to the Exchange server. This means that Exchange accepts my WinXP credentials and so the connection happens transparently.
christopher.rath@tpi.net

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 am

I second this feature request. I use a backup software that can't access locked PST files and therefore tries a snapshot to a later time. this is heavy system load at a time I can't have it. therefore I usually log out from outlook... unfortunately, X1 would still run and keep the PST files open... bummer...
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes