X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Postby delao13 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:05 am

X1 is eating up my CPU resources, even when it is not indexing my files at the time. I ran Filemon which provides a log of all disk drive accesses, and here is what I found (these entries run on a continuous loop). Why is this happening?



4 0.00002682 X1.exe:2144 FSCTL_IS_VOLUME_MOUNTED C:\Documents and Settings\MMD SUCCESS
5 0.00033300 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: Any Options: Open
6 0.00004889 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: N Options: Open
7 0.00000307 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_BASIC_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: A
8 0.00001201 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
9 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_VOLUME_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileFsVolumeInformation
10 0.00000838 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileInternalInformation
11 0.00000223 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
12 0.00001257 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
13 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
14 0.00001732 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: Any Options: Open
15 0.00000726 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
16 0.00000643 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
17 0.00000587 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
18 0.00000754 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileNameInformation
19 0.00000615 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileNameInformation
20 0.00001872 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 64
21 0.00000140 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 256 Length: 4
22 0.00001341 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 256 Length: 4
23 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 260 Length: 20
24 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 260 Length: 20
25 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 504 Length: 40
26 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 504 Length: 40
27 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 544 Length: 40
28 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 544 Length: 40
29 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 584 Length: 40
30 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 584 Length: 40
31 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 624 Length: 40
32 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 624 Length: 40
33 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 664 Length: 40
34 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 664 Length: 40
35 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 704 Length: 40
36 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 704 Length: 40
37 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 744 Length: 40
38 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 744 Length: 40
39 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 784 Length: 40
40 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 784 Length: 40
41 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859584 Length: 16
42 0.00001117 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859584 Length: 16
43 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859600 Length: 8
44 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859600 Length: 8
45 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1862936 Length: 2
46 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1862936 Length: 2
47 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1862938 Length: 14
48 0.00000978 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1862938 Length: 14
49 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859672 Length: 16
50 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859672 Length: 16
51 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859688 Length: 8
52 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859688 Length: 8
53 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1860336 Length: 16
54 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1860336 Length: 16
55 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1860352 Length: 8
56 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1860352 Length: 8
57 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1861896 Length: 16
58 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1861896 Length: 16
59 0.00000168 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
60 0.00000140 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
61 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
62 0.00000643 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
delao13
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:34 am

High CPU Usage

Postby leerod » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:51 pm

I have not tested the file access but I am seeing the same high CPU usage when X1 is supposedly not indexing since I upgraded to the released version of X1 5.5.
leerod
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:31 am

How do you run Filemon?

Postby kdb1001000 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Do you run this from the CMD line? I tried it without any luck.
kdb1001000
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Postby jimripper » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 pm

I also have > 95% CPU usage by the X1SERV~1.EXE process at all times. I can fix this excessive usage by disabling real-time indexing.
James R Pesko
jimripper
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby AlexTab » Mon May 08, 2006 8:31 pm

Ditto for me. X1SERVX~1.EXE using the CPU heavily, forcing the fan on my tablet to run a lot.
AlexTab
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:59 am

Postby laracroft » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Is this possibly the same old indexing issue which if you set inappropriate times causes the indexing never to complete and constantly restarting?

If so, this was reported by our office several months ago.

Try this: go to Tools > Options > indexing and set the middle radio button to delay indexing up to 60 minutes if PC in use.

Then go to the scheduled indexing part for files and all the categories such as outlook etc and set the scheduled update to occur at 55 mins or earlier.

Test this setup and then change the scheduled indexing for files and all the other stuff to 65 minutes and observe if there is a different behaviour.

If perhaps you don't want to wait an hour each time to get a result, set the first time to 5 minutes and the second time to 4 minutes and then test with the second time at 6 minutes and observe the results of your tests.

You may want to check around in your system to make sure there is not some application which is constantly accessing files causing x1 to suspend indexing until 20 seconds of inactivity has elapsed. If you are working on your computer trying to get things done this modus will not help, so check for other apps that could be interfering. Then see if you can replicate your problem using the method described above.
laracroft
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:07 pm

Re: X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Postby kernel_dev » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:45 pm

This is simply the system loading the executable and mapping it into memory for execution. Notice the creates and then the final cleanup/close. In between, the fast IO reads were pulling in sections of the executable. So, it's simply a load.

Now if it's doing this over and over again, then something interesting is going on unless it's reading in new sections. If it's reading the same sections repeatedly it sounds like it could be getting unloaded or there's some reason for frequent reloads. Executable sections of memory aren't subject to the same kinds of paging as data sections.

delao13 wrote:X1 is eating up my CPU resources, even when it is not indexing my files at the time. I ran Filemon which provides a log of all disk drive accesses, and here is what I found (these entries run on a continuous loop). Why is this happening?



4 0.00002682 X1.exe:2144 FSCTL_IS_VOLUME_MOUNTED C:\Documents and Settings\MMD SUCCESS
5 0.00033300 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: Any Options: Open
6 0.00004889 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: N Options: Open
7 0.00000307 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_BASIC_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: A
8 0.00001201 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
9 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_VOLUME_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileFsVolumeInformation
10 0.00000838 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileInternalInformation
11 0.00000223 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
12 0.00001257 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
13 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
14 0.00001732 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Attributes: Any Options: Open
15 0.00000726 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileBasicInformation
16 0.00000643 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
17 0.00000587 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
18 0.00000754 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileNameInformation
19 0.00000615 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS FileNameInformation
20 0.00001872 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 64
21 0.00000140 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 256 Length: 4
22 0.00001341 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 256 Length: 4
23 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 260 Length: 20
24 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 260 Length: 20
25 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 504 Length: 40
26 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 504 Length: 40
27 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 544 Length: 40
28 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 544 Length: 40
29 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 584 Length: 40
30 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 584 Length: 40
31 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 624 Length: 40
32 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 624 Length: 40
33 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 664 Length: 40
34 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 664 Length: 40
35 0.00000112 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 704 Length: 40
36 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 704 Length: 40
37 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 744 Length: 40
38 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 744 Length: 40
39 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 784 Length: 40
40 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 784 Length: 40
41 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859584 Length: 16
42 0.00001117 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859584 Length: 16
43 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859600 Length: 8
44 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859600 Length: 8
45 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1862936 Length: 2
46 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1862936 Length: 2
47 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1862938 Length: 14
48 0.00000978 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1862938 Length: 14
49 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859672 Length: 16
50 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859672 Length: 16
51 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1859688 Length: 8
52 0.00000894 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1859688 Length: 8
53 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1860336 Length: 16
54 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1860336 Length: 16
55 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1860352 Length: 8
56 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1860352 Length: 8
57 0.00000084 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Read: Offset: 1861896 Length: 16
58 0.00000922 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_READ C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Offset: 1861896 Length: 16
59 0.00000168 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
60 0.00000140 X1.exe:2144 FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS Size: 1976832
61 0.00000950 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
62 0.00000643 X1.exe:2144 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\PROGRA~1\X1\X1SERV~1.EXE SUCCESS
kernel_dev
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Postby stolkin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:32 am

I have this problem also. I also use filemon and see essentially that X1.exe is constantly running. I have turned off the X1 index option to index local files continuously. I have chosen the middle button with delay of 60 minutes. The only way I have found to stop this x1.exe disk activity is to completelty the X1 process. If even the icon is visable the activity continues.

It does happen "over and over again" . Fortunately for me the CPU usage is not high, but I suspect this X1 activity is causing some performance degradation for the rest of my processes.

(The following is quoted from earlier post in this thread.)

[quote="kernel_dev"]This is simply the system loading the executable and mapping it into memory for execution. Notice the creates and then the final cleanup/close. In between, the fast IO reads were pulling in sections of the executable. So, it's simply a load.

Now if it's doing this over and over again, then something interesting is going on unless it's reading in new sections. If it's reading the same sections repeatedly it sounds like it could be getting unloaded or there's some reason for frequent reloads. Executable sections of memory aren't subject to the same kinds of paging as data sections.
stolkin
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:21 am

Re: X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Postby Kenward » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 pm

stolkin wrote:Fortunately for me the CPU usage is not high, but I suspect this X1 activity is causing some performance degradation for the rest of my processes.


I wouldn't want to puncture your paranoia, but if "CPU usage is not high" and you only "suspect this X1 activity is causing some performance degradation" I have to suggest that you hang in here and see if things change when X1 has done its stuff.

We have no idea which version of X1 you smoke, or how much it is trying to index. Or how long you have been waiting for things to happen. If you have just installed, just wait before you jump to conclusions.

Over the weekend I had an nasty feeling that X1 was taking for ever to stop optimising its Outlook index. I left it to get ion with things, overnight as it happens. Eventually to got there. But I have too many disks and files than are good for me.

Sadly, the folks at X1 have yet to come up with any guidelines that I have seen on what we should expect in the terms of Gb to index and how long it will take.

If you want a more informed response, come back with details. As it is, who knows what is going on on your PC?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru
 
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 am
Location: UK

Re: X1 constantly accessing the hard drive when NOT indexing

Postby stolkin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Dear Kenward, I agree that having the facts is important, so I provide them below. I treied everything I could to tell X1 not do any incremental indexing while I am using the computer. That is the intent of me UNchecking these two options: "Allow indexing when minimized" and "Index local files in real-time", and choosing the radio button: "Delay indexing up to 60 minute(s) if PC is in use". But as shown by the filemon output below there is lots of work, over 500 operations a second, even when I have all those.

Thanks, Steve

P.S. Do you represent X1? I do not have paid support. How can I pass this information to official X1 people?

My X1 version is: X1 ® Enterprise Client Version 5.5.5
(Build 3248) (Created: Mon Aug 14 17:54:34 PDT 2006)

OS: Windows XP, on SP1 (note, not SP2)
Hardware: IBM Thinkpad X40

Using filemon (from sysinternals, but now owned by Microsoft) I found over 120,000 READ operations from X1.exe in less than 10 minutes. That is more than 200 READs per second! There are also several other types of operations, e.g. OPEN, DIRECTORY, CLOSE, QUERY INFORMATION. Counting all operation types there were over 300,000 operations by X1.exe in less than 10 minutes, i.e. 500 per second! (There were also about 146,000 operations by all other background processes including explorer, svchost, virus scan etc. 68,500 of these were from X1Service.exe .)

X1 showed it has last indexed at 12:12 am which is fine, since I ask for a re-index at midnight. At the time of the test I should have had very few files that had changed, but I might have had a few. I occasionally moved the mouse or did something in X1 or another program, to remind it to not do anything.

Here is a tiny excerpt of the filemon output showing the first few and last few entries in a 10 minute test. (Pasting data may have changed the formatting, but it ought to be possible to see the original lines, based on the filemon entry number at far left.)

1 11:19:45 AM X1.exe:1872 OPEN C:\Program Files\X1\X1Service.exe SUCCESS Options: Open Access: Read
2 11:19:45 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\Program Files\X1\X1Service.exe SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 64
3 11:19:45 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\Program Files\X1\X1Service.exe SUCCESS Offset: 256 Length: 4
4 11:19:45 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\Program Files\X1\X1Service.exe SUCCESS Offset: 260 Length: 20

...

446776 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 OPEN C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: 00100001
446777 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 DIRECTORY C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: StartColumnImage.bmp
446778 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 CLOSE C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\ SUCCESS
446779 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 OPEN C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Options: Open Access: Read
446780 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 QUERY INFORMATION C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Length: 726
446781 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 14
446782 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Offset: 14 Length: 4
446783 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Offset: 18 Length: 36
446784 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 READ C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS Offset: 54 Length: 672
446785 11:28:10 AM X1.exe:1872 CLOSE C:\program files\x1\resources\default\default\images\StartColumnImage.bmp SUCCESS


Thanks, Steve

Kenward wrote:
stolkin wrote:Fortunately for me the CPU usage is not high, but I suspect this X1 activity is causing some performance degradation for the rest of my processes.


I wouldn't want to puncture your paranoia, but if "CPU usage is not high" and you only "suspect this X1 activity is causing some performance degradation" I have to suggest that you hang in here and see if things change when X1 has done its stuff.

We have no idea which version of X1 you smoke, or how much it is trying to index. Or how long you have been waiting for things to happen. If you have just installed, just wait before you jump to conclusions.

Over the weekend I had an nasty feeling that X1 was taking for ever to stop optimising its Outlook index. I left it to get ion with things, overnight as it happens. Eventually to got there. But I have too many disks and files than are good for me.

Sadly, the folks at X1 have yet to come up with any guidelines that I have seen on what we should expect in the terms of Gb to index and how long it will take.

If you want a more informed response, come back with details. As it is, who knows what is going on on your PC?
stolkin
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:21 am

Postby Kenward » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:14 am

Tools like File Monitor, which I also have, may well do more harm than good, especially when they do not come with any health warnings about what they find.

Sure, X1 is constantly accessing your hard disks. That is what it is for. It cannot index stuff without finding it. My guess is that even when it is not indexing it needs to know what is going on so that it can index when the delay comes to an end.

Have you compared the disk intensity of X1 with that of, say, Microsoft Windows Search?

I have File Monitor running on my second monitor as I type this. Its shows scads of activity by X1. For example, it also shows that MXTask is thrashing away.

svchost kicks in a lot too.

Looking at the memory usage of all this disk access, the only thing at anything like a worrying level is, er, Filemon.


And yet my PC hums along with no signs of stress.

No, I have no financial connection with X1, beyond having once paid for their software.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru
 
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 am
Location: UK


Return to Feature Requests and Gripes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

cron