Use of X1 as a computer environment analysis tool

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Postby nfortin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:21 am

Hi,
I currently use X1 as a desktop search tool and love most features it provides me. X1 is great to search text within files and preview quickly the files. However, I would benefit a lot more from X1 is it would offer analysis-type features related to the keywords that are searched.

Example:

I have a directory strcucture containing thousands of application code files. If I want to find all references to a specific keyword (eg: MPEX), X1 will quickly find all files and I can preview them - great. What I'm really missing is a bit more information about what was found:

- The total number of hits within all files
- The number of hits within each file
- A way to copy&paste the listing of all file hits into Excel (this serves to have an analysis of the keyword search)
- A way to only show the lines with hits within a file in the preview window

The closest tool I came to find that can do this is UltraEdit/32's search in file feature, but it does not index files nor offer a productive preview feature like X1.

Please e-mail replies to nicolas.fortin@activant.com.

Thanks
nfortin

Postby dkyer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:08 pm

You can export any search result list to an excel spreadsheet.

Click on file/export

Once the results are in excel you can do a number of interesting things with them like running a pivot table and graphing.

For instance search for a subject in e-mail, export the result list to excel, run a pivot table that shows the volumn of e-mail by month about that subject.

I have used this and it can be quite powerful. Takes a little knowledge of how to use pivot tables in excel and I don't think it will do everything that you are asking for but it may work for some of what you are looking to do.
dkyer

Postby nfortin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:17 am

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.
I did not know of the export feature, however as you suspected it does not fill the need I expressed in my thread.
Thank you anyway though
nfortin

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes