Copy resultant set of files

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Copy resultant set of files

Postby CTaylor » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:53 pm

I have a requirement for a bunch of auditors to check some files matching a search criteria. They are not to be able to see any other files. The results might be 10,000 files. I can do the search, but once I have the resultant list, I can't really do anything. It would be really cool if I could Ctrl-A to select all results and then right click and have an option to copy files to a new location. To get around potential problems of duplicate files names and copying to a single directory, perhaps the option to include the drive/directory as a pathname at the destination.

So a result list of

c:\documents and settings\ctaylor\my documents\hello.doc
f:\important files\hello.doc

might get copied to

c:\results\c\documents and settings\ctaylor\my documents\hello.doc
c:\results\f\important files\hello.doc

where "c:\results" would be the destination I specified for the copy.

Or is there another way to accomplish this with the current product?

Chris Taylor
CTaylor
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby dkyer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:01 pm

Try drag and dropping the files to the new folder. Not sure if it will work with 10,000 items (i think there is an upper limit) but it works with say 100.

Open the Windows Explorer and go to the folder where you want to copy the items. Multi-select the items in the search result window click and hold and drag them to the Windows Explorer.
dkyer

Postby w0qj » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:24 am

You can use XEC's [Goto_Folder] function to launch Windows Explorer automatically to that particular folder, then manipulate the files as usual.

Hope this helps!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes