I'd love an "Index [THIS_FOLDER] right now" featur

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

I'd love an "Index [THIS_FOLDER] right now" featur

Postby Ichneumon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm

(Note, if "Real-time indexing" worked as advertised, I wouldn't need this feature, but RTI seems to cause program trouble at best, and I've not seen it actually do what's expected in any case.)

Often after juggling files around, I'd like to have X1 reindex one or more specific folders (including its subdirectories) right away so that I can browse around in the new file structure using X1 to see whether I need to do any more shuffling/tweaking/cleaning etc.

Right now my only option is to kick off a full reindex of everything on my computer, which can take up to an hour, just to have X1 "notice" the few folders that I want freshly reindexed.

It would be really, really handy if there was a way to tell X1 to immediately run off and refresh its index of just the folder(s) I ask it to scan. It would still keep the index of "everything else", of course, and still reindex the whole bloody computer at the next full reindex operation.
Last edited by Ichneumon on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichneumon

Postby w0qj » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:34 am

Spam deleted.

Hadickupteen8 wrote:Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 am Post subject:
...movie!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Ichneumon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm

I'd like to renew my request for the feature I described in the first post in this thread. Hardly a day goes by that I don't really, *really* find myself wishing I could force an indexing update of the contents of a particular folder (and its subfolders) without having to do a full re-index of absolutely everything (and wait hours for it to finish) just to see X1's searches reflect recent changes to a limited number of folders I'm working with.

I don't even need a fancy UI dialog for this, if there's a way to write a commandline EXE that could give this feature (like: "x1reindex C:\MP3"), which would pass the request to the indexing engine, that would be great. In fact, that would be handier in a lot of ways than a UI window.
Ichneumon

Postby BillChapman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am

A manual index update on my system takes 2 or 3 minutes. A full reindex after clearing the index files takes 2-3 hours. While I agree, that an index this folder on demand feature would be nice, 2-3 minutes doesn't create problems for me.
BillChapman
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Ichneumon » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- when I say a "full re-index", I don't mean "clearing all the indexes and indexing all files all over again", I mean "hitting the "Index now" button after the indexes have already been fully built. In other words, I'm just asking X1 to "freshen" the indexes by looking for files that have changed/added/removed and updating the indexes accordingly.

THAT takes roughly two hours on my system, and this is why I'd like an option to just re-index selected directories -- I usually know which directories have changed (and which of the thousands of directories *haven't* changed), and/or I only care about getting an updated index quickly on certain directories/files at the moment.

Actually clearing the indexes and rebuilding them entirely from scratch takes DAYS on my system....
Ichneumon

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes