X1 5.6 will not index Outlook

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

X1 5.6 will not index Outlook

Postby cgbengtsson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:31 am

Hi,

I recently upgraded X1 from 5.5.5 to 5.6. Using Outlook 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2.

After the upgrade X1 is no longer indexing e-mails (files are indexed though). The "Select folder to scan" window is empty -- no PST files are displayed. If i attempt to manually "Add PST File" then I get the error message "Your current Outlook configuration prevents scanning external PST files. Please load PST files directly into your default Outlook profile."

X1 5.5.5 was running perfectly. I have made no changes to Outlook after the upgrade of X1 to 5.6.

I use X1 extensively and can't live without it -- especially for e-mails. All help is MUCH appreciated!

Best regards,

Christer
cgbengtsson

Postby Kenward » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:38 am

X1 gets at your Outlook PST files (databases) through your Mail Profiles.

And to get at any PST database it has to be connected in some way to a Profile.

So, to begin diagnosing your problem I would investigate your Profiles in Windows Control Panel.

One way to regain access could be to create a new Profile. You can build one without any email accounts. Add to it all of the PST files you use.

X1 should then see these databases and begin to index them.

If this works, then my guess is that somehow your main Outlook Profile is broken somehow.

There are many reports of this sort of problem. I've had them myself. Sadly, Microsoft isn't much help in these matters. But the very first thing you should do is to run the SCANPST tool, which is somewhere on your PC.

Outlook can happily stagger on with broken PST files. SCANPST will fix any errors. Indeed, it isn't a bad idea to ruin this thing from time to time.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby cgbengtsson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:43 am

Hi Kenward,

Thanks for the lightning fast response!

I have tried as you suggest to add a new profile (without e-mail accounts) making sure to include my PST files (2 in my case). Unfortunately this does not change X1 ones behavior -- can still not index Outlook and no PST files are visible to X1...

Just to be sure I am currently running scanpst.exe (takes a long time on my 4GB PST files).

Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Christer
cgbengtsson

Postby cgbengtsson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:48 am

cgbengtsson wrote:Hi Kenward,

Thanks for the lightning fast response!

I have tried as you suggest to add a new profile (without e-mail accounts) making sure to include my PST files (2 in my case). Unfortunately this does not change X1 ones behavior -- can still not index Outlook and no PST files are visible to X1...

Just to be sure I am currently running scanpst.exe (takes a long time on my 4GB PST files).

Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Christer

Hi again Kenward,

I have now scanpst.exe:ed my PST files. This did not help the problem.

Is X1 v5.5.5 still available for download -- then I could downgrade to see if this version works?

Best regards,

Christer
cgbengtsson

Postby Kenward » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:54 am

You may have to tell folks a bit more about your setup. For example, are you using Exchange?

Here is a link to v5.5.5:

http://www.x1.com/cs/x1_ent_client_3248.exe
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby cgbengtsson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi MK,

Thanks for providing the link to 5.5.5 -- I can confirm that it works perfectly. Outlook is indexed and my PST files are displayed correctly in the "Folder Selection" window.

Regarding my setup:
    - Outlook 2003 SP2
    - Windows XP SP2
    - Not using Exchange
    - 2 PST files (4.5GB & 1.8GB)

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you debug 5.6!

Best regards,
Christer
cgbengtsson

Postby rlsmith01 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:21 pm

I recently upgraded X1 from 5.5.5 to 5.6. Using Outlook 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2.

After the upgrade X1 is no longer indexing e-mails (files are indexed though). The "Select folder to scan" window is empty -- no PST files are displayed. If i attempt to manually "Add PST File" then I get the error message "Your current Outlook configuration prevents scanning external PST files. Please load PST files directly into your default Outlook profile."

X1 5.5.5 was running perfectly. I have made no changes to Outlook after the upgrade of X1 to 5.6.

I had the same problem. I also had to go back to 5.5.5 to see my PST folders in the "Select Folders to Scan." I also tried rebuilding my Outlook profiles and running the SCANPST tool. None of this made any difference.
Randy
rlsmith01

Postby vmc230 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:57 pm

cgbengtsson wrote:Hi MK,

Thanks for providing the link to 5.5.5 -- I can confirm that it works perfectly. Outlook is indexed and my PST files are displayed correctly in the "Folder Selection" window.

Regarding my setup:
    - Outlook 2003 SP2
    - Windows XP SP2
    - Not using Exchange
    - 2 PST files (4.5GB & 1.8GB)
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you debug 5.6!

I had the exact same experience. I have 6 PSTs all less than 1GB, but otherwise same set-up.
Vaughn
vmc230

Postby Kurns » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 am

Same problem here with the same type of setup.
Kurns

Postby Kenward » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:28 am

Is that with 5.6.1 also?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby rlsmith01 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Kenward queried
Is that with 5.6.1 also?

Yes it is. I was fine through x1 5.5.5. Now with 5.6.1 I can't index my Outlook 2003 SP2. I do not use Exchange, all my email is kept locally (so I don't know anything about cached Exchange email). My OS is XP Pro SP2. I do share one folder on a network, but I have never used X1 to index over a network, only locally. But, then again, I have no problems indexing files on my computer, only Outlook pst files remain unseen in the options - Select folders to scan.

So, it looks like I will reinstall 5.5.5 again to regain X1 functionality.

Frustrated,
Randy
rlsmith01

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:29 am

Have you been through all the history of discussions on Outlook and X1?

In particular, have you ensured that all of the PST files you want to index are associated with a Mail profile?

This does not have to be the Profile that you use to maintain your mail.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby rlsmith01 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 pm

I would say yes, but there must be something I have missed because I still have the problem.

I have run scanpst and rebuilt my Mail profile. The scanpst found errors which I allowed to be fixed, creating a backup file. Neither have allowed X1 to see the PST files of which I use two, the main PST and an archive PST.

In searching the discussions, I have searched for "Profiles" and "Scan folders" but still haven't found anything that helps. Any other search suggestions?

Thank you,
Randy
rlsmith01

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:37 am

Is your Archive PST connected to your Mail profile?

X1 seems to want the profile to know about each PST that it indexes.

Here are some earlier messages on the topic:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7883#7883

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7743#7743

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7513#7513

They may or may not apply to your circumstances, but they should offer some pointers and things to look out for.

By the way, if you follow the Yahoo mailing list dedicated to discussing Outlook, you will see that a constant refrain is the need to rebuild your Outlook Mail Profile from time to time. This has been known to fix many a problem with third party software.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/outlook-users/

It is easy to think that something is wrong in X1 when Outlook is really the true villain of the piece.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

rlsmith01

Postby Automize » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:53 am

Have the exact issue of rlsmith01 here as well. This is behavior specific to the upgrade of X1 5.6 - I will have to downgrade as well.
Automize

Postby rlsmith01 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:13 pm

Automize, sorry to read you have the same problem. I have have tried what Kenward has suggested to no avail. I am NOT using Microsoft Exchange though most of Kenward's solutions seem to involve Exchange. I cannot see any folders in Select Folders to Scan and cannot add any PST files in the same Dialog Box. I have completely rebuilt my Outlook Profile, going so far as to delete the existing one directly from my registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles).

No luck!

Once again, back to 5.5.5. That version works great.
Randy
rlsmith01

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:18 am

I don't know which bit of my suggestions you think relate to Exchange. I don't use it and would not know how to mend it.

Anything I have mentioned on that subject will have come from people here who have reported on their experiences using Exchange.

The best way to find out what has already been said on something is to use the button that says "Search Forums with X1" and to use various keywords.

To do this, you have to use Internet Explorer as your browser. The X1 folks did say they were working on Firefox, but that seems to have skipped off the schedule.

By the way, if you are one of the people who paid for a licence for X1, you can always as "Support" to help you out.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby rlsmith01 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Of course, Kenward, you are right. I must have had several other tabs open in Firefox to X1 forums while researching the issue and confused them with the ones to which you referred me. I am sorry for misquoting you.

I have, however apparently found a fix for my issue! I went into my registry (dangerous!) and located the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailSafe Extensions\.PRF which pertains to Microsoft Outlook Profile Settings in ZoneAlarm. I don't know if ZoneAlarm (Security Suite version 6.5) changed the permissions for .PRF, but when I clicked on allow for "Full Control" and "Read" for every group or user name (and clicked on apply), then using Task Manager to end all processes pertaining to X1 and finally restarting X1, everything (so far) appears to be working fine. I removed the check marks next to all I had previously allowed, rebooted and still X1 continues to display all the PST files I have in my Outlook Profile under Select Folders to Scan. I can now add PST files there as well and indexing is proceeding!

Who knew it apparently was a permissions issue.

I did look into my ZoneAlarm, under E-mail Protection, Attachments tab, there is a Microsoft Outlook Profile Settings *.PRF, Quarantine or allow. Mine is set to Quarantine. I don't know if that means anything.
Randy
rlsmith01

X1 V5.6 does not index outlook

Postby zitsu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Same here. Searched the X1 forum - none of the solution works. Downgraded to V5.5.
zitsu

Postby mvinarcik » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Kaspersky was blocking X1 from seeing Outlook profiles/folders after I installed it...I had to go into Office Guard and turn off blocking of the Office API.

That fixed it.

These other apps may be doing something similar.

Mike
mvinarcik

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:29 am

Looks like we should string these things together into a trouble shooting tip.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Found it.

Postby Automize » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 am

After trying just about everything, I was finally able to work around this issue with the 5.6 X1 by removing the entire user profile (that's the _windows_ profile, not the outlook profile). Finally, back in business. Doesn't appear to be a permissions issue in my case.

This would seem to indicate some problems in the upgrade installer logic for X1.
Automize

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:40 am

Or that your Windows profile has somehow been broken.

I maintain a couple of profiles, even though I am the sole user. One "Admin" profile I keep clean so that I can do things like clean out the junk that builds up in the temp directories for my main profile.

Another solution that has also been known to fix "X1" problems is to build a fresh Outlook Profile.

Sadly, Microsoft has yet to write perfect software. Maybe Vista will be different.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:55 pm

If this applies to you, here's the solution

If you notice either:

a. the message, "Your current Outlook configuration prevents scanning external PST files. Please load PST files directly into your default Outlook profile."

OR

b. a blank Outlook folder selection screen when going to Tools > Options > Email > Outlook > Select Folders To Scan

AND - you have installed and then uninstalled Outlook/Office 2007 (Office 12), then you may be experiencing the result of an incomplete uninstall of Outlook 2007.

It's probable that you have a couple of rogue registry entries that are the cause of the problem. The keys are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

To correct:

1. Close Outlook and X1 using File > Exit (verify that the X1.exe process is stopped via Task Manager)
2. Download this file: http://www.x1.com/cs/Outlook07.zip
3. Extract the downloaded zip file
3. Double-click the extracted Outlook07.bat file to run (this will make a backup copy of the registry entries, just in case, and will then remove the entries)
4. Restart your computer

After your computer restarts, launch Outlook and then X1 to see if you can now see your folder selection list.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to Questions and Answers