Please index MP3, WMA, OGG, and other music metadata

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Please index MP3, WMA, OGG, and other music metadata

Postby ThatAdamGuy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:58 pm

I have a vast library of (actually legal) MP3s and WMAs ripped from my CD collection and downloaded from for-pay services. Often times, the filename does not accurately reflect a given song, but the internal metadata in the file does.

It'd be really great if X1 searched this metadata!
ThatAdamGuy

Postby noel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 pm

X1 actually supports ID3 tags for MP3s (in a limited way).

In general, X1 does not support meta data for most file types. Other users have been asking to support meta data for other file types as well (like EXIF data in pictures).

I do not know the status of development for this feature - but it is something that is being looked at.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Here Here!

Postby m2r » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 pm

This would be a great addition to x1! Great suggestion!
m2r

Additional File Types

Postby dejannenov » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:22 pm

X1's development roadap includes support for all of these data types.

We are currently working on an SDK, which will be availabvle to anyone who may want to develop support for new or custom file formats and data types.

I would be very curious to hear from all of you regarding what other file types you have, but currnelty cannot index?

DN, C.G., X1
Dejan Nenov
former chief geek, X1
dejannenov

Re: Additional File Types

Postby tom » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:03 am

dejannenov wrote:I would be very curious to hear from all of you regarding what other file types you have, but currnelty cannot index?

I would like to index (and show in an corresponding table-column of X1) NTFS-meta-data (NTFS-Streams). It would be great if I could do that with this X1-sdk.
What is the estimated release date of this sdk?
tom

Postby x-9 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:02 am

dejannenov wrote:We are currently working on an SDK, which will be availabvle to anyone who may want to develop support for new or custom file formats and data types.

I would be very curious to hear from all of you regarding what other file types you have, but currnelty cannot index?

40tude Dialog (Email and Newsreader) : http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

I imagine the SDK will be well beyond my abilities, but maybe someone clever will take a shot.

With dtSearch you can point it at any source which includes plain text, and specify markers it should use to split long documents into chunks, which used together dices the Dialog news database into searchable individual messages.

It's nowhere near as functional as proper support like X1's for Outlook etc, but it's something. Maybe X1 could include some mechanism for (user-defined) splitting of long text files into chunks, as a half-way house between full X1/SDK support and nothing?
x-9

MP3 info fields all empty

Postby wixmith » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:44 pm

I know you indicated that metadata is not actually supported for media files like music and pictures. However, there are fields under the player for title, artist, genre, album, track and year.

That would be enough for me, but 99% of my MP3 files, which I ripped from my own CDs using MusciMatch, don't show anything in these fields.

A few MP3 files gleanedfrom the Internet do populate some of the fields. can you tell me what tags you require? I think MusicMatch is pretty standard in this regard, so I'm perplexed why X1 can't seem to index these.

-wick
-wick
wixmith
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby terryvoth » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:53 am

dejannenov wrote:We are currently working on an SDK, which will be availabvle to anyone who may want to develop support for new or custom file formats and data types.

I was wondering about:

- progress on availability of this SDK (I've asked sales, no answer)

- expected "hurdles" to getting it (cost, partnership, judged worthy by a panel of your peers :wink: , etc...)

Any information (including "No idea yet") would be appreciated.

I've got source code (PowerBuilder) that is stored in a proprietary format, but is very easy to get out with a COM interface, and not too hard to get out through other means. What I'd **really** want is:

Level 1: A way to pump all the text into X1 in one big chunk per library.

Level 2: A way to pump in portions of text, assigning it container paths within the source file (kind of the way X1 shows folder information in ZIPs)

Level 3: A way for the user to define the level of granularity into which things are separated for entry into X1 (e.g. library level, class level, function level)

Level 4: A way for X1 to have my coffee brewed by the time I get down for breakfast. (OK, X1 may not be particularly suited for this, but I've been trying to get this out of my computers for 20 years now; I'm willing to try anything. :wink: )

I'd imagine the desire for Level 2 or 3 would be echoed by developers using other tools that have source code that can already be indexed, but only on the file level.

TIA.

Terry.
terryvoth

Postby g » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:35 pm

That is nice that there will be an SDK for new search types, but what confuses me is why the software cannot just treat an arbitrary filetype as ASCII, which would allow EXIF tags to be searched because they show up as plaintext in the JPG file. I was able to add MS OneNote by simply forcing X1 to index .one files. The files of course look like gibberish because of all the non text parts, but I can still perform useful searches to find what page something is on. Being able to do the same with any arbitrary file (including JPG) would be an easy fix and useful.

dejannenov wrote:X1's development roadap includes support for all of these data types.

We are currently working on an SDK, which will be availabvle to anyone who may want to develop support for new or custom file formats and data types.

DN, C.G., X1
g

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:19 am

"Audio Video IFilter is a content indexing filter for WMA, WMV and MP3 files. The IFilter is compatible with indexing services based on the Microsoft Search technology: Microsoft Indexing Service, Windows Desktop Search, Windows SharePoint Services. Audio Video IFilter extends the services capabilities to index the WMA, WMV, MP3 files providing content search for them. Audio Video IFilter extracts two kinds of text metadata: standard ASF files (WMA, WMV) metadata and ID3 tags from MP3 files. The ID3 tags is the de-facto standard of storing metadata in the MP3 files."

Maybe this would help some folks.

http://www.aimingtech.com/av_ifilter/

I have no idea if this one will work with X1. As before in any discussion of iFilters, you are on your own. X1 says it supports them, but we haven't managed to get any official response to earlier references to this technology.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes