Mapped Network Drives Not Indexable

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

Mapped Network Drives Not Indexable

Postby csi95 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:48 am

Somewhere along the way, I've lost the ability to index my mapped network drives.

Setup:

Windows XP SP2
X1 version 5.5.5 (build 3248)
Outlook 2003

This was the whole reason I purchased the X1 Client, now with all this upgrade to the "free" Exterprise Search client, I've lost that ability. It also tells me that I can add a server reference (\\server\share) without purchasing something else.

This worked until about a month ago. What's changed?

- Bryan
<a href="http://www.chameleon-systems.com">www.chameleon-systems.com</a>
csi95

Postby Kenward » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:20 am

This feature "disappeared" from later versions of X1. You can get it back. And there are lots of messages on this around the forum. (I keep meaning to bring them all together, but don't have time.)

Start here:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=2551

You can also do it with the free deployment kit. To get the right one, read this:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=2603

Let us know if you have any problems with these. Good luck.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

client deployment kit - no "add network path"

Postby kronhead » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:59 am

I downloaded the latest client deployment kit, deinstalled the client I had completely, cleaned up per the docs, rebooted, installed the client from the kit, installed the deployment manager, launched the client in administration mode - but the "Add network path" box and bottons are all grayed out.

Any ideas?
Dan
kronhead

Postby Kenward » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:23 am

Maybe this will help:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7720#7720

Did you go though this process?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kronhead » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:02 am

Kenward wrote:Maybe this will help:

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7720#7720

Did you go though this process?

Thanks - that worked. I had just used the info in the PDF file in the deployment kit. Much obliged.

Dan
kronhead

Postby Kenward » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:06 am

Thank you for reporting back. This doesn't always happen.

It is nice to have confirmation that something works. Now we can be more confident when answering people who come along with the same question.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Network drive inidexing allowed but does not happen

Postby julianq » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:55 pm

I followed the procedures using the Deployment Kit so that I now have been able to add my network folders to the list of folders to be indexed. Even if I click the Index Files Now button, no files from the network drive ever show up when I search for files. Is there something special that has to be done beyond the steps spelled out at http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?p=7720#7720
which I followed and which ungrayed the buttons used to add network folders to the list to be indexed?

I think I may have found the answer!

I tried the following:

Since I started using X1 a couple of years ago, I've noticed that X1's manuals and explanations are geared more toward IT professionals. For those of you who aren't, and would like to index network files with the latest version of X1 (5.6), and don't want to slog through the IT gobbledygook, here's what you need to do:

1. Download the X1 Client Deployment Kit.
2. Install X1 using the .msi file contained in the deployment kit.
3. Go to Start Menu:Run, and type in 'gpedit.msc'. This opens the Group Policy Editor.
4. Right-click on "Administrative Templates" and choose "Add/Remove Templates..."
5. Click "Add", then navigate to the place where you saved the deployment kit, select "X1DesktopSearch.adm", then click Close.
6. Under "Administrative Templates" in the Group Policy Editor, there should be a new entry called "X1 Desktop Search". Click it.
7. In the right pane, right-click on "Allow Indexing Network Files" and choose "Properties"
8. Select the "Enabled" button, then click OK and close the Group Policy Editor.

That should be it. When you next run X1, the option to "Add Network Path" in Indexing Options should be available.[/quote]

Of course, this only seems to be an available solution if you are running XP Pro.
julianq

Even easier way to enable network searching

Postby DoppelFrog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 am

Hi all,
I looked into the problem of no network searches anymore, and found that you don't even need to install the client from the Deployment Kit. All that you need (on XP Pro SP 2 at least) is the Admin Template: X1DesktopSearch.adm

Extract that from the zip and then follow the remainder of julianq's steps:

3. Go to Start Menu:Run, and type in 'gpedit.msc'. This opens the Group Policy Editor.
4. Right-click on "Administrative Templates" and choose "Add/Remove Templates..."
5. Click "Add", then navigate to the place where you saved the admin template, select "X1DesktopSearch.adm", then click Close.
6. Under "Administrative Templates" in the Group Policy Editor, there should be a new entry called "X1 Desktop Search". Click it.
7. In the right pane, right-click on "Allow Indexing Network Files" and choose "Properties"
8. Select the "Enabled" button, then click OK and close the Group Policy Editor.

I then closed the client program (with File/Exit), opened it again and the network search option was available. :)
DoppelFrog

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:30 am

Great idea. But the bad news is that this works only if you have XP Pro. Lucky you.

At least, that is what I seem to remember.

And you can't add this functionality to XP Home.

Anyone know how this might be replicated in XP Home somehow?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby DoppelFrog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:29 am

Just out of interest, has anyone actually checked XP Home to see if it has the Group Policy editor (and that it's usable) ?

Edit: This article suggests (to me) that you can use Policy settings, even on Home. You just need to manually set the keys:
http://www.j79zlr.com/gphome.php

One thing you could try, and no idea if it works or not is create a registry key under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\X1\X1 Desktop Search
Make it a REG_DWORD with the name AllowIndexingNetworkFiles
and a value of 1.

or copy and paste this into a text editor and save it as x1.reg and merge it with the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\X1\X1 Desktop Search]
"AllowIndexingNetworkFiles"=dword:00000001
DoppelFrog

Postby Kenward » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 am

I have tried to use gpedit.msc in XP Home. using the instructions given in this thread. No luck.

The article you helpfully link to explains how to achieve things by messing in the registry, something I am happy to do. Not sure that it gets gpedit.msc to work in XP Home.

Your own hack might work. I will experiment some time.

However, the registry entry that you list is not in my registry. And I have network index working.

There is a similar entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\X1 Desktop Search\Admin\InstallOptions]

"AllowNetworkIndex"=dword:00000001
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Network Drive Indexing - again

Postby pealringer » Wed May 02, 2007 1:55 pm

I have been lurking for a while, but now I need specific help. How can I get a copy of X1DesktopSearch.adm without downloading the whole network admin package. Going to the home/download page gets me in to filling in forms which lead to Emails which lead to - nothing so far. No download containing X1DesktopSearch.adm.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
pealringer

Postby x1uncle » Mon May 07, 2007 6:59 am

In mid April 2007 I called customer service and was told that network indexing is not currently available in the free version (despite what the web site says). Previous versions had it network support for $70 but those versions can no longer be purchased because they are virtually obsolete.

The next version is expected very shortly and will offer the network indexing. It is not clear if the new version will be free, but I don't think so.

In the meantime, there is a workaround using Windows "Junction" command. I have not tested it, but you can search the x1 forums for Junction. Good luck.
x1uncle
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby x1uncle » Fri May 18, 2007 10:00 am

Ooops, it turns out the Junction command will NOT work with network drives. (but it will work for external drives.)

Sorry if I misled anyone.
x1uncle
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Fri May 18, 2007 10:41 am

Folks, the XEC v5.6.4 had just been released!

This includes a 30 day trial of X1 Professional Client, so you have 30 days of network indexing to try out if you wish.

For full details, please refer to:
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3183
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Questions and Answers