Indexing of removable drives still not implemented

Do you want to see something in X1? Do you dislike something about X1? Let us know!

Moderator: Mods

Indexing of removable drives still not implemented

Postby gt13 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:10 pm

As seen in http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=2710 :
"Unsupported Products/Known Issues:
- Indexing of removable media is not supported. "

Please, developpers, note that without this feature, X1 loses all his interest for many users.
I have bought my version of X1 Desktop Search some years ago when it was still indexing removable drives, and I would never have bought it if it was not able to index removable drives.
And this is the reason why I still go on with my old version 5.2.3.
Without this feature, I will not upgrade to a newer version.

Regards,
Gerard (from France)
gt13
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby pgk » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 am

I'm sure they're all working hard on these things, but it is becoming a bit silly. X1 - which feature will they remove next! Expect the slogan "V6.0: now without saved searches and search as you type!". So far we lost convenient network indexing, real-time indexing in outlook, and removable media. Anything else? -pgk
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby dz006 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:34 am

Yeah - it's almost laughable if it wasn't so true. I've just removed X1 (having paid for it a few years ago) and have reverted to Copernic 2.
dz006
dz006
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 am

I wonder if we are seeing the consequences of the move to the free software and the emphasis on the corporate market.

"Corps" are so paranoid about security that some go so far as to disable USB on their PCs. So they don't want folks messing around indexing those beasts.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby pgk » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:10 pm

That seems like a reasonable scenario - the focus definitely seems to have shifted away from the average user. I've certainly cut down on my suggestions of usability improvements, since it seems like these are no longer being implemented as they were in the early days. I wonder if a developer could comment on the path X1 is taking - if it's not classified that is.

On a related note: did you ever look on the Windows desktop search forum? There's a developer comment just about every five hours, as opposed to once every week here on the X1 forum. Can't help myself liking the Microsoft approach better! Ouch. -pgk
pgk
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:23 am

pgk wrote:On a related note: did you ever look on the Windows desktop search forum? There's a developer comment just about every five hours, as opposed to once every week here on the X1 forum. Can't help myself liking the Microsoft approach better! Ouch. -pgk

I have to agree.

If Microsoft wants to "own" the individual desktop search, and X1 wants the corporates, then as an individual I will go where they offer what I want.

A factor that X1 might want to consider is that corporates are also individuals. They want to do things away from the office that are much like the stuff we all want to achieve. Keep removing reasons for an individual to use X1 and folks will start finding ways of using competing products to meet both these needs.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby groedl » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:31 am

Hey guys,

why are you flaming about that "theoretically" missing feature. Use the deployment kit to enable network shares and you will get this feature.

- Install and start the client deployment kit. You need to install an X1 version before.
- Create an indiviudal version of X1 with the deployment kit. Make sure you enable the "allow network shares" feature. Enable also the "create batch and msi installer" option.
- The deployment kit creates a folder structure, including the file "adminoptions.ini" and the subfolder "SettingsToDeploy"
- Copy these files into the X1 instalation directory and start X1 (maybe you need to register the X1 client with the registration key you got when downloading the deployment kit)

You will notice that it is now possible to add network shares, as opposed to the standard installation. You can share any removable media via network share and so you are able to index all files there.

Sure, it is not very convenient, but if you are really sooo eager to have this feature, try those steps above. Just make sure that no network users can access your network shares.

Regards
groedl

Postby w0qj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Hey guys,

Let's continue to discuss as usual on this forums with a cool head!

Don't think anyone's flaming anyone here, just venting their frustrations their feature requests have not been heard...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby askwong » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:44 pm

1. Consider this: how many users have data they need to search on their:

-USB thumb memory drive
-USB external hard disks
-data CD-ROM (DVD-ROM, etc.)

I suspect well over 90% of users have at least one of above that they need to search, at least once a month.

2. It would be nice if X1 integrates with Windows Explorer, and let users to right-click the USB thumb memory drive, and select [Search_This_Drive_Now] in the context menu!

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=2559

As all above feature requests have already been suggested 2 years ago, I can understand why users feel frustrated.
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby w0qj » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 am

Right, now that v5.6 has been officially released, let's move this thread to the Feature Request Forum...

and do keep your Feature Requests coming!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

USB not supported

Postby jmoorejr » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:01 pm

Agreed.

How do I go back to the old version?
jmoorejr

Postby w0qj » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Try XEC v5.2.3 which has external USB hard drive indexing for Win'XP.

http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=2655

Good luck!
Rgds / Mr. Wong

w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Feature Requests and Gripes