How to jury rig local disk indexing

You've got questions? We think we have some answers!

Moderator: Mods

How to jury rig local disk indexing

Postby Kenward » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 am

This belongs in a "sticky".

It comes from this thread

Ichneumon wrote:Here's a stupid workaround for the "X1 doesn't see external drives" bug, at least for NTFS-formatted drives:

Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html and download the "junction" utility. This utility gives you access to a filesystem hook that's already part of the Windows operating system, but which Microsoft didn't include a way to use without one of their SDK's or a third-party utility. Go figure.

At a command prompt (or in the "Start / Run" box) execute something similar to the following command:

JUNCTION C:\GDRIVE G:\

In this example, I'm mapping the contents of the root directory on my G:" drive (which X1 can't see for some reason) onto the (non-existent) virtual directory "C:\GDRIVE". In other words, it convinces Windows that the whole contents of my G: drive can all be found under the C:\GDRIVE directory on my C: drive. I can still access my G: drive in the usual way (i.e. via G:whatever), but now I can also see (or modify) its files via C:\GDRIVE\whatever as well. In short, "C:\GDRIVE" is just an alias for "G:", but this makes it "look" like your whole G: drive can be found under a directory on your C: drive.

Then just tell X1 to index your C:\GDRIVE directory and its subdirectories, if don't already have it set up to index all of your C: drive anyway. X1 will then index your external G: drive because you've faked it out into thinking it's part of your C: drive.

When you get a search result in X1 of "C:\GDRIVE\whatever", just remember that the file is "really" on your G: drive, or go ahead and access the file directly on your virtual "C:\GDRIVE" location, it's all the same either way.

If you ever need to remove the junction alias, just use the command:

JUNCTION -d C:\GDRIVE

And no, you can't use this method to search network drives on X1 -- the "junction" functionality in the Windows OS doesn't allow creating junctions for network drives either.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

INSTALL UTILITY WHERE??

Postby Lynn210 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:15 am

This is a great tip however when one downloads the Junction utility there aren't any instructions as to where this file needs to be installed on the Windows computer.. I am running XP .. where do I put this file??
Lynn210

Postby Kenward » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:16 am

Did you read the Microsoft article on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=205524

It probably doesn't matter where it goes as long as Windows can find it.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

JUNCTION.EXE

Postby Lynn210 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:23 am

That article seems to refer to more info on how to use the utility.

I have downloaded the Junction.exe but do not know where in
my windows files it should be installed.

Under Windows\System32 .. there seems to be some dot prompt commands in there?
Lynn210

JUNCTION.EXE

Postby Lynn210 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:46 am

Hello again.

I put the utility in the Windows\System32 file .. since that was where
most of the command prompt apps were..

Seems to have worked.. now just need to see if X1 indexes them.
Or is there something I have to do to get X1 to index the additional
drives.

This is a nice little program.. too bad it is not fully functional ..
I have a 2 computer network .. plus 2 external drives.. would
be nice if I could index them all.

I have spent hours studying what others have said in this forum..
but they seem to be alot more proficient in computers than me.

Why doesn't X1 offer a complete program?
Lynn210

Two hard drive setup,,,

Postby Ingvar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:28 pm

I have two hard drive disks: My main one, C in NTFS, with a windows installation, and D: partitioned into two drives: one in FAT32, the other Reiser with a (currently inaccessible) installation of Suse linux on it. I used the FAT32 drive to share files between Linux and Windows. X1 never seemed to index the D: FAT32 drive, but it's where my music, documents and pictures are stored. I'm hoping that this junction program will solve that problem. Thanks for the info.

Ingvar
Ingvar

"Junction" utility not needed to mount external dr

Postby glashoppah » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:31 pm

The "junction" utility previously mentioned in this thread is a throwback to an old DOS utility for mounting drive letters as directories in another drive hierarchy.

In Windows XP it's not a necessary tool. The built-in tool MOUNTVOL does the same thing. Here is a KB article on it and its use:

MS KB article ID 205524

It works fine. Make sure you use the volume GUID format rather than the drive letter format - then you'll be sure to always mount the same drive to that mount point, rather than worry about the order in which you might connect your external drives.

I do however have a problem with X1 not being able to index any drive for which I have a letter. It's dumb.

g.
glashoppah

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 am

The KnowledgeBase article refers to Windows 2000. Does this really work in XP? In particular, with XP Home?

I ask because people have offered here, and elsewhere, various workarounds for issues that work only in XP Pro. As users of XP Pro, they naturally do not know what works with the more widely used "Amateur" version.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: How to jury rig local disk indexing

Postby leeuniverse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 am

Well, just did it myself, and it looks like it is all working well.
The MS sites instructions weren't that clear, but I got it to work.
Simply went into the command line followed the "md ddrive" instructions.
That process makes a directory in your C:\Documents and Settings\your profile name\ddrive .... then the rest of the instructions creates the virtual link. Of course before that type in "mountvol" so as to see the drive gui's to know which one to type according to the instructions.

Looks like DOS commands, I would have rather had the virtual drive at C: instead, but because the instructions weren't that clear I did what looked the safest thing, didn't realize what it was actually asking me to do. Likely would have needed to change directory, since I was at my profile file level. Maybe I'll change it later.

Anyway, it DOES work.... X1 sees the virtual drive. A work around that does work.
Now I can use v6.2.3 which views my webpages fine without an ActiveX error and can index my external drives. :)
leeuniverse

Return to Questions and Answers